Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Is it hard to drop oil pan to clean out sludge in the engine? Alot of research on engine flushes

Old 04-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Default Is it hard to drop oil pan to clean out sludge in the engine? Alot of research on engine flushes

I have a higher mileage engine with 183,440 miles on it. It is an 1989 Honda Civic and lately I have been going maintenance crazy on it (I want this to last as long as possible).

I have done quite a bit of research on cleaning and flushing out of the engine's internals and here is what I have found.

Quick flush and change solution.
This would be like putting seafoam or auto-rx or anyother cleaning solution in the crank case and immedietly changing oil after a few miles (10-100).

What this is supposed to do is dislodge some of that embedded sludge in your engine and it "should" get collected in the filter and easily changeable but from research this is not always the case. This method could do more harm than good clogging an oil screen or getting lodged where it shouldn't be (bearing, rod, etc...).

Another interesting method I read is a Bilstein flush. This flush is done with the engine off and invovles your engine being hooked up to a machine where it is flushed out by fluid being pumped into the crankcase and pulled out from oilfilter opening. Seems like a great deal for $69 @ pepboys.

THe above methods are great and work 100% if they are done from day 1 of a new car (a mile interval would be sufficient). But the problem I have is that it has never been done and some of this sludge is probably "made itself at home". Especially with 183,000 miles! I don't want to do the above flushes because removing the sludge from my cylinder walls and bearings. I do want to rid off any that might be in the sump or bottom of my oil pan. Is there a simple way to do this? If not I am very patient and willing and to top it off the weather is gorgeous!. Please let me know how to take this off and if you guys think it is worth it.

The maintenance I intend on doing is to help this car see 300,000. It includes everything you can think of for under $300 (I do the work myself ofcourse to save money on labor).

Let me know what you guys think and if it is doable