Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

WARNING - stay away from transmission flushes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Default WARNING - stay away from transmission flushes!

Unless you really know the dealership or mechanics doing the flush. I had my transmission flushed and filled 15k miles ago at Mike Smith Honda in Beaumont, TX. The transmission is now acting stupid at 66k miles. Hey, I'm not a teenage leadfoot driver, and this car sees almost all highway miles. I started troubleshooting the problem, and the first thing I discovered is that they overfilled it by at least 3/4 of a quart. Then, I noticed that the fluid I took out looks far worse than the fluid before the flush.

The bottom line is they didn't do the flush right, or never did the flush at all. But, you bet they charged me for a flush! And now, the transmission is toast. I've got the car over there now, so let's see what kind of BS they are going to try and give me about fixing it.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Fun stuff!

I've found the only way you'll ever get Peace of Mind, is taking the DIY route. These sorts of things aren't quite as complicated as most people think as long as you've got a decent set of tools and some time.

Best of luck

Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM
HCF Member

..Umm...Question....Ever since you had that Flush have you ever checked the Transmission fluid level?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
..Umm...Question....Ever since you had that Flush have you ever checked the Transmission fluid level?
Yes, when I got it back from the dealership after the flush. It was high on the dipstick then, but I figured that was because the engine was cold at the time. I knew it wasn't leaking, because it never left any drips on the driveway. The color of the fluid looked OK then, and it looks OK now. But, if you pull a few ounces out and put it in a glass, you see how bad it looks.

UPDATE..
I got a call from the dealership, and they said the problem wasn't the converter binding up, but a cracked motor mount causing the vibration in reverse. I can see where that could cause the symptoms it was experiencing. They said it happens a lot in these cars! They changed it under warranty, and that seemed to fix the problem. But, they stood fast that they did do the fluid flush & fill, and the fluid looks right for having 15k miles on it. And, that it didn't need changing yet. I still say that fluid looks bad. It doesn't look dirty, but it looks burned. However, the service manager said that honda fluid just gets dark fast.

I'm going to get a second opinion on this from a couple of tranny guys I know.