Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

internal engine failure after smog check

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
HCF Member
Default internal engine failure after smog check

i have a 2000 civic ex D16 automatic, 147k on the odo and its all stock. i went to get a CA smog check, and 15 miles later, i was going up a steep incline, had the engine at about 5200 rpm, and threw a rod, thus my engine needs to be replaced.

i was troubled during the smog check because all of a sudden i hear my engine literally screaming - it had to have been redlined for at least 30 seconds, maybe more. probably pushed the engine absolutely as hard as it can go.

i had this car smogged before about 6 months ago (passed smog, just didnt make it to the dmv in time) and i dont remember being worried during the first test, and had no symptoms afterward.

i take pretty good care of my car, regular oil changes, timing belt new, trans fluid changes, etc, and i was wondering if any of you have seen this type of damage before. im not naive enough to believe ill get any money from the smog center even IF i can prove it, but im curious. i know my car has high mileage, but for a well maintained civic that hasnt been redlined in any recent memory - probably never - to just throw a rod?