Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Help With a Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Default Help With a Build

I just recently bought a 96 civic coupe with a d15 engine in it. It has 160,000miles on it and i was think about dropin a turbo in this beast. Now I know that I'm going to need to do something with the internals but I'm not exactly sure where the best place to buy the parts from? Also, I've heard that the d15 engine isn't a great engine to boost. I'm looking to make 250whp but I want it to be a daily driver. Can someone help me out and guide me into the right direction about doing this. Thanks

Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

swap out the motor to a b series, the d wont be able to handle 250whp, be reliable and a dd! you would have to dump some serious money into the head and block such as new valves, dual springs, cams, cam gear, 450cc injectors, bigger mani, forged pistons and rods low compression, etc. if it was me i would swap the motor for a b18b and add a turbo you will reach that 250whp mark easy with less internal work.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 AM

Stick with the d the standard cranks can hold 600 horse power if balanced ,the week parts are the rods,250 hp,build a strong block firstly,think t3 turbo or a similar size/specs to reduce turbo lag ,keep your cars like your woman d's not b's

Old 01-11-2009, 07:30 AM

Well, I planned on taking out the engine and rebuiling it. I was thinking of putting in lower compression pistons and eagal rods. Also I dont think a motor swap is an option. I don't want to spend the money for a motor I have no idea about whats wrong with it. I would rather spend some money on overhauling the motor I have now. Can the block handle the boost ok? and what manifold would I need?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:46 AM

Also I want to add that this car is going to be my daily driver. I'm 18 years old and I want to show off a little bit. I recently had a 94 trans am with a built LT1 motor I did myself. I cracked the block and I parted out the car. I want a car that is realiable and quick

Old 01-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by munkeewrench23
swap out the motor to a b series, the d wont be able to handle 250whp, be reliable and a dd!
That's just not true... not one bit.

For substantially less money than swapping in a B-series, you can build and turbo the engine reliably, and make a lot more than 250WHP.

New rods, pistons, and rod bolts and your engine can handle 250+ WHP no problem (really all you need is the rods and rod bolts, but might as well do pistons too). Hell, many people out there turbo their stock internals D-series to 250WHP and it's still reliable (with a good tune of course and a good condition engine).

My advice is to build the bottom end, do a mini-me swap (put a D16Z6 VTEC head on your D15 block) since you'll have the head off anyway, and turbo it... you'll easily make 250WHP. Even without the mini-me swap you can make 250WHP, you'll just have to turn up the boost a little higher.

Next time you recommend a B-series and put down the D-series (like you ALWAYS do), get your facts straight.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 01-11-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

lol dang trust get em im gonna say stay with the d baby all the way

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Anyway, I'm def. going to build this. I have since removed the motor and I'm just about ready to get the head and block machined and polished. I was thinking of going with eagle rods and vitara pistons. What bearings should I use? What would need to be done with the valves, springs, lifters, cam etc. What else should I replace outside of the motor? I have ordered new belts and tensioners. I'm also considering getting a new water pump as well. I'm on a budget and I'm doing this project with the money I have left over from when I sold my trans am (LT1). So after the pistons, rods, and machining stuff I'm going to be doing this from my weekly paycheck. I'm open for advice. Thanks guys

Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM

it's not that we dislike B-series, it's that the cost of building the block and turbo'ing a D that you already have is a lot less than the cost of swapping a B and turbo'ing that. Especially when the OP said he wants 250WHP, which is a very easy goal on a built/turbo D-series.
The B-series swap just isn't necessary.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 PM

For the turbo and other parts I was looking at a website. http://www.ssautochrome.com/ ........anyways this website looks ok I guess. I was not planing about buying the turbo here but what about the exhaust manifold and the exhaust piping? Does anyone think they are good? Also I was thinking about trying to save some money and going with the intercooler and piping from here as well. let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Help With a Build