Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

help with mini me swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Default help with mini me swap

what do i need? where can a i get a d16y8 head and gasket. any info would be very helpful thank u

Old 02-28-2010, 05:54 PM

You can get heads from your local Craigslist, the Honda-tech marketplace, or ebay. Or even a local junk yard.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 PM

what else will i need to do a mini me swap?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 AM
HCF Member

You will preferably want the whole top half of the z6 or y8 engine so you will have the head with the needed distributor, wires, better intake manifold and have the vtec solenoid, sensors, etc. You will need the ECU for whatever head your going to be using (use the search button for this) and you should replace your timing belt. I believe you have a get a different belt than the one you have but you can search for that if your really interested in doing it. I think you can get special gaskets from some random sellers that are supposed to be different materials and such but if you dont care about all that crap you can just go to autozone or oreilleys etc for all ur gaskets. Make sure you dont buy a head with bent valves or your gonna have to rebuild it like im doing to prepare for my z6 minime swap. If you have any more questions, use the search button.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:19 PM

which top half is faster the z6 or the y8? whcih will gain more hp. where can i find all this stuff at? how can i i gain more hps wit the swap?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:23 PM

They're about equal. Get the one that's for your Civic's generation. 96-00 = y8, 92-95 = z6.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM

how many hp can this add? what other vtec mods can i get?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

I think its only about 20hp give or take a few. Theres not really "vtec mods" its kinda either you have vtec or you dont. Assuming you know how a cam works, my understanding is that with vtec your cam has two different sets of lobes. When running lower rpm your cam operates on one set and during higher rpm vtec sets in meaning your cam operates on the other set instead. Its kind of like being able to alternate between two different cams.

You can play with bolt on mods on a d series but your not gonna see a lot of gains, generally speaking. Unless of course you do a turbo/supercharger or put in a crapload of money on building your engine. You also can look into a dohc swap like a b series or h22 but it all depends what your willing to spend.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 PM

any suggestions to gain some hp and acceleration? mini me swap the best way to go?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
You can get head from your local Craigslist under the casual encounters section.
im sry but i had to.. ill delete it if you want lol

anyhow. what other kinda stuff can u do with a mini me? like cams and stuff? how much HP will that add? whats the prices on the stuff you need? cause im considering a mini me now

Quick Reply: help with mini me swap