Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

K20 Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM
HCF Member
Default K20 Swap.

So i've been researching about the K20 swap into the EM2's, and i've heard amazing results. I'd definately consider it, after college when I make good money, but right now i'll stick to upgrading my suspension and other stuff. I'm just looking into my REAL options when I want serious power for my EM2, since turbo is out of the question, well.. Its not, but i'd rather not on a D17.. Eww. . (Great commuter engine, what it was devoloped for, i'll give Honda kudos for that).

But my main question is right now, can only the K20a2 fit in EM2? Or can the 220hp K20A fit in the EM2 as well? I'd rather have the K20A over the a2, personally, since it would be generally better, with more power. But I wasn't sure if that was an option, especially seeing most K20 swaps being the K20a2 engine. But i've done as much research as I need to right now, and seeing how difficult the swap is. I've heard some people having to modify to mounts and some things because it'll be a 'tight fit', and other stuff, since its possible, just a pain in the ***.

But, it would be something definately to brag about, and unique. Right?

And nothing like beating a Mustang who pulls up by you and is all "Pfft, he's just got a Civic, I could blow that ricer aw-- HOLY **** DID HE JUST BEAT ME?!" type of thing, which i'm sure alot of Civic owners would love to do [8D]. But my main question is just: Can the K20A fit in the EM2, or is it strictly K20a2 only?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: K20 Swap.

i'm honestly not sure about the compatibility differences, but I wanted to let you knwo that the a isn't that much better than the a2 if you're already planning on doing boltons and stuff. The hp differences after bolt ons and hondata seem to average in the 10 hp range which isn't that much of a difference if you're having to significantly pay more.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 AM
HCF Member

www.k20a.org

check the swaps section

Old 04-05-2008, 09:53 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

www.k20a.org

check the swaps section
I did, and it didn't really specify. It only says the "K20". And the DIY I read for it says "K20/K24 swap into a EM2".

Old 04-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I believe the K20 and K20a2 are essentially the same motor as far as fitment goes... I doubt you'd have any problems. There was a Super Street a while back (back when K swaps were unheard of) with a jdm k20 in an EK. If it can fit in an EK, I don't see why it would be a problem to put one in a 7th gen.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

I believe the K20 and K20a2 are essentially the same motor as far as fitment goes... I doubt you'd have any problems. There was a Super Street a while back (back when K swaps were unheard of) with a jdm k20 in an EK. If it can fit in an EK, I don't see why it would be a problem to put one in a 7th gen.
I figured they were the same.. Only apperance and some minor hp tweaks and stuff are the difference. But, I just wanted to make sure and everything. And nonetheless which K20 would be the better engine to put in.. The K20a with 220hp or the K20a2 with 200 hp? I only ask because of "Mybrokenblinker"s comment. I mean, I could save $1000 and go with the K20a2, but.. If K20a is the better engine, i'd rather spend my money on the better engine, especially if i'd go through all that trouble with the swap .

Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

after boltons and hondata tuning i think the a2's average high 220's at the wheels and the a's average high 230's. If 10 hp is worth 1k to you, that's your choice.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

after boltons and hondata tuning i think the a2's average high 220's at the wheels and the a's average high 230's. If 10 hp is worth 1k to you, that's your choice.
Mmm.. So the A2's more responsive to bolt-ons and tuning, is what you mean..? So are you saying that the A isn't as 'good' as the A2 then? I mean.. What would I be better off with? In terms of modifications, bolt-ons, turbo, Nitrous, ect.

By the sound of things, the K20A2 would be better for me then the K20A? [8D]

EDIT- I just seen this video on Youtube with a guy with a K20a2 in his car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIaR-28MyE and a comment someone left got me wondering. "change the k20a type-r final drive for a longer one or put a stock 2002-2004 type-s tranny with a lsd. those short gears are slowing you down, you putting 5th in the 1/4 mile".

Not exactly sure what the guys saying, but i'm just curious lol..

Old 04-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Cereal Admin

^ the guy making that comment is a dumbd**k... the k20a2 is the Type-S motor, so it would already have a type-s 6 speed transmission.

I say just go with the a2 and save the $1000 up for a turbo kit

Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

^ the guy making that comment is a dumbd**k... the k20a2 is the Type-S motor, so it would already have a type-s 6 speed transmission.

I say just go with the a2 and save the $1000 up for a turbo kit
Figured as much, haha.. His comment didn't make any sense :P.

But, you make a good point. I could use the extra 1k on the accessories I need for the swap, or as a 'down payment' on a nice turbo. Man.. The possibilities with a K20a2 *drools*. But, this'll be along ways down the road, since I need to finish my I/H/E setup (To have a few ponies to run around town and have some fun with), and definately do my suspension upgrade, and my other upgrades. I -was- thinking about Nitrous, since everything would cost me around $1,200 roughly. Direct port 50 shot, bottle warmer, opening, purge kit, and other accessories. But i'm definately gonna research alot more before I even think of putting Nitrous in my car. I figured it would be a little extra 50 hp to play around with while I wait for my K20, or why bother and save that money up for my K20a2. I mean.. It would be nice to have nitrous, but its not needed, especially if i'll get the K20a2 down the road. It would be wasted money, in a sense.. But eh, it was just an idea and a little something fun while I waited for the beloved K20 .

Quick Reply: K20 Swap.