Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

K20 Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: K20 Swap.

i don't know if i would call the a2 a BETTER engine, in fact, it's definitely not. The a is without a doubt a BETTER engine. It's just the question of whether 10 hp is better is really worth a grand to you, and the answer, at least for most people is DEFINITELy not.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 AM
HCF Member

To answer your question...the K20A will fit the same as the K20A2, and even the K20A3

Just a refresher guys :
K20A: JDM ITR, 220 BHP
K20A2: USDM RSX-S, 200 BHP
K20A3: USDM EP3 & RSX (Base Model), 160 hp

In the end they are all gonna get you a faster car that responds better to bolt ons. Plenty of guys have swapped the A3 ($1500 usually) and turboed it. It's hard to say if the ITR motor is worth the extra cash for the 20 hp, but in the end its your decision and how far you want to take it!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

Mybrokenblinker, well, its only 20 extra hp for a grand.. Well, what I REALLY want to know is, which is the better engine to tune and turbo, and everything, you know? Thats where i'm getting at by 'better engine'. I mean, the K20A has a higher redline, and it seems to have a little more potentional over the K20A2. But, my grandpa has a K20a2 in his 2006 Si (Lucky bastard), and its really fun to drive, and I love to drive it. It's definately got the power, so I know the K20a2 definately has power and potentional from driving one personally.

And Bakertime, yeah I figured the only true difference in the A and A2 was the performance differences, and how they were tuned and everything.. But I just wanted to go ahead and make sure, y'know? I'm still curious as to why everyone says the A won't respond as well to bolt-ons as the A2 supposedly will..

Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

The K20A probably won't respond as well, because in a lot of ways its the same motor, just with different cams (probably valves & springs also..maybe different IM, not sure). If you take a K20A2, with an ITR valvetrain, you're probably going to see similar numbers. If you're going to cam it anyway, go with the A2, since the ITR springs probably can't take anything much more aggresive then the stock cams. The higher redline is also due to the valvetrain.

Just IMO, but the best K series option is the K24 Block, with a K20a2 (or a, I guess) head. This gives you a whole bunch of torque, with the benefits of a high reving K20 head. There are some considerations here, but if you choose to do this route, I'm sure you'll do the research . There's something with welding shut a coolant passage or something...It's been a while since I read about it, haha.

Just a side note also, the SI doesn't have the K20A2 unless he swapped it in. They have a K20Z3, which is essential the same, but with a drive-by-wire (electronic) throttle cable.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bakertime

The K20A probably won't respond as well, because in a lot of ways its the same motor, just with different cams (probably valves & springs also..maybe different IM, not sure). If you take a K20A2, with an ITR valvetrain, you're probably going to see similar numbers. If you're going to cam it anyway, go with the A2, since the ITR springs probably can't take anything much more aggresive then the stock cams. The higher redline is also due to the valvetrain.

Just IMO, but the best K series option is the K24 Block, with a K20a2 (or a, I guess) head. This gives you a whole bunch of torque, with the benefits of a high reving K20 head. There are some considerations here, but if you choose to do this route, I'm sure you'll do the research . There's something with welding shut a coolant passage or something...It's been a while since I read about it, haha.

Just a side note also, the SI doesn't have the K20A2 unless he swapped it in. They have a K20Z3, which is essential the same, but with a drive-by-wire (electronic) throttle cable.

Hope this helps!
Mmm.. I think I would probably be better off with the A2 then, haha. Yeah, i've heard about the K24 with a A2 head on it, but i've never heard of the results, i'll have to look into that.

Ahh.. It looks exactly like a K20A2 in the 2006 Si, same specs and stuff, so I guess I got easily confused(and as you said, little differences). Well, then I can say i've at least experienced the K series, at one point; and loved the experience .

Thanks for the help so far, I guess i'll continue my research. I'm mainly gonna research people who have a K20a and those who have the K20A2, so I can just see peoples opinions, and other stuff. Nothing like good 'ol research .

Also.. It says on Hmotorsonline that the K20A has a LSD tranny, and it doesn't say anything about the K20a2 engine having LSD? Does this make a big difference? I mean, i'm seeing pros and cons of both motors, and its making things hard >_>.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, good call..I forgot about the LSD. The advantage there is just that the power goes to the wheel with grip. Sounds like a boat load of torque steer to me, but they seem prefered by a lot of people.. I've never driven one, so I can't say, haha.

It's good to see your willing to do the research! After all, like you said, checking out people's setups will tell you a lot then just the numbers. I can't stand it when people come on and ask "Which motor should I get and what turbo should I buy to make the most power cheapest" haha...oh man.

Good luck man! Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! Definitely see if you can find some K24/ K20 hybrid setups...they make some pretty impressive numbers, and I have the impression that it's a bit cheaper for the motor itself. Seems like it would just be a headache with getting all the proper parts together.

Wish I could try out a K20 ...I've heard nothing but good and they seem so well built compared to all the other Hondas...I hope they keep producing them so the price goes down eventually.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

Don't be confused, LSD doesn't transfer power to the wheel with grip, it just keeps the wheel without grip from slipping excessively meaning by default the other wheel gets more grip.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

Bakertime, Yeah.. Thanks. I'm probably gonna go stalk K20a.org a bit and see what some people have done and what they prefer. My main goal is to know as much as I can about both the A and A2, and use that to my decision, and decide which i'd rather prefer. Yeah the K24/K20a2 head hybrid really does seem like a pain in the *** as for finding parts, i've found some youtube videos, and it does seem pretty impressive, but i'll have to look into more about it. Yeah, the K20a does seem like a marvelous engine.. Honda really outdid themselves with it, i'm really impressed. Really, the K20 is all I have going for me in terms for power in my little EM2, I wouldn't consider turbo, i'd rather spend a little extra and have a beautiful N/A engine to work on.

Mybrokenblinker, still.. The LSD tranny does seem useful. Correct me if i'm wrong but.. Say if I did a burnout, and only my left tire caught more traction and really let loose and my right tire hardly did anything. Is that were the LSD will correct? Meaning, will that fix that problem?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, good call on not turboing an EM2...I was looking into K swap or Turbo when I had mine and I just couldn't spend the money...if I did though it would have been on the K. So much more reliable and easy for the first timer it seems.

Thanks for the info on the LSD MyBrokenBlinker...I've never really been fully described that. Good Info.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
HCF Member

I found a breakdown of the A and A2 on K20a.org

K20A
Found in:
2001-2005 Honda Civic Type-R (EP3)
Displacement: 1998 cc
Compression: 11.5:1
Power: 212 hp (215 PS, 158 kW) @ 8000 rpm
Torque: 149 ft·lbf (202 N·m) @ 7000 rpm
Redline: 8400 rpm
2001-2006 Honda Integra Type-R (DC5)
Power: 217 hp (220 PS, 162 kW) @ 8000 rpm
Torque: 152 ft·lbf (206 N·m) @ 7000 rpm
Redline: 8500 rpm
2002-2006 Honda Accord Euro-R
Power: 217 hp (220 PS, 162 kW) @ 8000 rpm
Torque: 152 ft·lbf (206 N·m) @ 7000 rpm
Redline: 8500 rpm

K20A2
Found in:
2002-2004 Acura RSX Type-S and 2002-2005 Honda Civic Type R (EP, European)
Compression: 11.0:1
Power: 200 hp (147 kW) @ 7400 rpm
Torque: 142 ft·lbf (193 N·m) @ 6000 rpm
Redline: 8200 rpm

Even though the A is slightly better, I would say after seeing this i'd really rather go with the A2. Seeing only statically it only puts down 217 hp, and the other stuff. Its only slightly better than the A2. I guess for the price, the A2 would be the better buy, indefinately.. Then again, what about that LSD tranny? Would it be worth getting?

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28668 I found this AMAZING page.. I swear, i'll be up all night reading it, and then print it off and take it to school and read it in homeroom or something, haha.. That thread has some great information.. Wow..

Quick Reply: K20 Swap.