Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Looking for advice

Hey folks.

I'm looking to beef up my 2005 Civic, and was told that a forum would be a good place to get some up to the minute and reliable info.

First, a few noteworthy details about my car: its a stock 05' model (approx 130 hp), a vTi (vtec version), thats what they call the higher end model in Southeast Asia. Heres's the problem: most of the technicians here don't know their ***** from their wrenches. I'm guessing my best bet is to get parts from Dubai, and install them myself.

I donot wish to do any engine swaps, but modify this one upto about 200+ hp. What are my options?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:52 PM

supercharger, turbo, nitrous
the engine can handle 200hp without being built, as long as the engine is in good condition and has good compression.
nitrous is cheapest, but in the long run it costs more than anything because you have to refill the bottle of nitrous
superchargers on civics are inefficient and probably won't get you to 200hp as easy as other options would
turbo is probably your best bet. a good turbo setup can get great results, (make sure to get a tune) and will cost less than nitrous in the long run, since it sucks in air faster, which is free, as opposed to the nitrous which costs money to use

Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
supercharger, turbo, nitrous
the engine can handle 200hp without being built, as long as the engine is in good condition and has good compression.
nitrous is cheapest, but in the long run it costs more than anything because you have to refill the bottle of nitrous
superchargers on civics are inefficient and probably won't get you to 200hp as easy as other options would
turbo is probably your best bet. a good turbo setup can get great results, (make sure to get a tune) and will cost less than nitrous in the long run, since it sucks in air faster, which is free, as opposed to the nitrous which costs money to use
Good stuff man. How do I get a hold of all this stuff? Which brands are the best ones? What kind of equipment will I need to install a good turbo kit? In addition to a turbo kit, will I need to install other parts, so that the engine can handle the additional hp without getting screwed? I really want to make this car last.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:18 AM

yea you'll need some sort of way to tune, such as a piggy back unit like GReddy e-manage.
and you'll need to get a tune, otherwise the engine will run lean and blow soon.
Depending on how much HP you have, you may need to get bigger injectors and/or a high flow fuel pump.

There's all kind of stuff out there. Do some searching around the forum for info. There are some turbo DIYs in the DIY drivetrain section (at the bottom change "past month" to "beginning" to view all DIYs)

just search for turbo and i'm sure you'll find a lot of info