General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking to buy civic; Need advice and most common problems with them. Please help me w/ any input

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Default Looking to buy civic; Need advice and most common problems with them. Please help me w/ any input

I am looking to buy a 92+ civic, but mostly interested in the 96-2000? generation. I am interested in the coupe version only as well.

I have not made up my mind on whether or not I want to get a manual or automatic transmission. I don't plan on "performancing" my civic , but may change my mind in the future. I want to make the civic as gas efficient as possible as I will be driving this 60-100 miles a day M-F for my job (I'm a computer tech). I would be extremely greatful if someone would let me know what the most common problems these vehicles have. This would be extremely helpful so I could know what to look for in my test-drives or when I go to look at these vehicles from potential sellers. I was looking for an LS400 Lexus earlier this year, but changed my mind as my friend let me drive his civic home one day and I loved the feel of the car. When I was looking for a Lexus LS400 I found a newbie "buyers guide" on the internet that was the greatest thing I have ever come across. It listed the most common problems with these cars and what to expect to do to the car upon buying it .

Thanks to all and I look forward to purchasing one of these fun to drive vehicles.

P.S Is an K&N air Filter or aftermarket air intake help improve Gas mileage? Or would I be better of sticking to the stock set-up. Thanks once again

Old 04-02-2006, 07:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Looking to buy civic; Need advice and most common problems with them. Please help me w/ any input

get a 99/00 EX with a 5 speed.

common problems are rust in the rear quarter panels and you should try and buy one from a older person as younger people tend to run the crap out of stuff thinking it is fast most of the time.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Default RE: Looking to buy civic; Need advice and most common problems with them. Please help me w/ any inpu

Yeah thats the thing; I won't buy any civic with aftermarket parts. I want something as stock as possible. Good point about the kids driving the heck out them