Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Mini-me Horsepower Gains?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:24 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Mini-me Horsepower Gains?

not on a y7/y8 combo.........if im not mistaken they share the same dish between both pistons........if anything your talking a few thenths comp pick up at that .

Old 09-17-2006, 10:42 AM

well its a lot of money will it be worth it if what finalimpact said is true?

Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

define a lot of money. define worth it. usually mini-me's can be had for 500 bucks total and are capable of mid 16's. by no means fast, but faster than what you have and with potential.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:54 AM
HCF Member

Well the only other bang for the buck that will approach a mini me as far as hp per $ is N2O.

30hp for $500 is a great deal, a JRSC retails for around $2200 and with a 6psi pully you get around 40whp gain. With a mini me your paying around $16.70 per 1 hp, with a JRSC you pay around $55 per hp so you do the math.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 AM

yeah Marty, thats true... never thought of it that way =)

thanks for all the info

Old 09-18-2006, 05:55 PM

if you do full headwork with ur MINI swap you will see more than just 105-110 at the wheels if you already have the bolt ons.. even Marty showed me www.akmee.com... they have a little hatch putting down over 140 with just upgraded valvetrain/cam and some bolt ons with a tune making that.. they didnt even do the headwork.. since i have been looking myself into this i have talked to several people who have been running www.sohchonda.com <<<< D's N/A style with anywhere from 140-160 hp at the wheels .. most of them have also done bottom end work as well.. but you can make that same power keeping stock bottom end by milling the head and changing headgasket thickness.. you just lose some reliability .. since ur pushing more power on those same internals.. i am still checking local pricing vs the www.exospeed.com heads of course.. they run around 1200 bucks plus core for full headwork with new valvetrain.. then cams are extra .. like maybe 200-300. but it all depends what your final goals are.. whether u just want cheap quick power .. for less money than you would spend on a JDM B16 Si swap though you can make as much ,, if not more power with your D than you can with a B16.. plus youre doing it with less weight.. not to mention if you already have all your bolt ons.. you wont have to resale/purchase those.. other than a CAI or SRI..headers will bolt up to your Y8 head..

sorry for rambling off a bunch of junk.. just home sick right now and medicated :P.. really sux

Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 PM

actually thats what i'm planning on doing myself. mini me with the akmee setup. i also have the skunk2 manifold with throttle body, aem cai, dc 4-1 ceramic headers and p28 ecu. i just need about 1300 bucks to get a port and polish and the akmee valvetrain, then i can start it all.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 AM

That seems like too much for headwork. Anyone know of a more reasonable price? I'd like to pay 300-500 tops for something like that.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:14 AM

well figure for just a good p&p it will cost about 400-600 bucks then the akmee valvetrain is 700 (i'm hoping the guy will cut me a deal) so yea. i'm gonna do it right the first time so i don't have to keep taking it apart and it still leaves me open to turbo later on (other than the cai)

Old 09-19-2006, 04:50 AM

some of the other places i have seen that just offer Port/polish jobs have stages they offer as well.. more exotic=more hp gains and also cost more money .. as more time is spent into the work..Honda Performance

This is a really good place i found that does alot of other stuff as well.. intake manifold/tb p&p services.. plus headwork that doesnt include a package deal like Exospeed .. which replaces all OEM parts and upgrades valvetrain as well..starts at 475 for port/polish..but they also have the higher packages available.. costs up to 1k.. would have to ask around though for feedback and reviews for them.. not sure on quality of work..

Quick Reply: Mini-me Horsepower Gains?