Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Mini me swap or New Engine? Which has more bang for the buck!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:42 PM
HCF Member
Default Mini me swap or New Engine? Which has more bang for the buck!?

At first I was considering doing a mini me swap in my 96 civic cx but figured by the time I got all the parts which I believe would be:

-D16y8 Head
-Skunk2 intake manifold
-Skun2 TB
-D16y8 Fuel Rail
-D16y8 Fuel Injectors
-P28 ECU
-AEM CAI
-Head Gasket
-Intake manifold Gasket
-Throttle Body Gasket
-Exhaust Manifold Gasket
-Timing Belt

it would come to roughly 1k USD wouldnt' it? or more.. yeah I'm thinkin more.. and where would my total hp be sitting? 160hp? and would that be pushing it? I'm not sure at all so please correct me if I'm wrong.. and I was thinking of going with a whole new engine such as the h22a which is $1750 USD with 200 base hp which would be more than my y8 head with bolt on.. I know the h22a engine is heavy but I think my car would be light enough it wouldn't matter too much (again correct me if I'm wrong) and finally the link is for a 92-95 engine.. mines a 96 would anyone have a link to one?

Thanks for your help in advance

TiCKeR

http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/introhonda.htm

Old 05-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Default RE: Mini me swap or New Engine? Which has more bang for the buck!?

a mini me on your engine would give you close to the stock vtec engines power about 127 flywheel. with those mods your would be looking at a greater amount, considering you have a header, exhaust and intake to flow all the air. you would quite posibly be in the 130hp range at the wheel. and a mini me is a lot cheapr than swapping in an h22, but there is less power gain.

if you want a decent cheap swap look to a b18b, they are relatively cheap, and easy to get parts for. and they are pretty good to run with a turbo

Old 05-23-2006, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

I'm looking to make substantial gains though, in the 200hp and up area

Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

approx numbers for prices and HP would be great if anyones got some..

D16y7 engine swapped to y8 head with VTEC including H/I/E as well as intake manny and TB
(my own parts would be aem cai, dc headers, skunk2 tb & manny (already has a magnaflow exhaust system on my car)

approx price = ?
approx HP = ?

H22 (which model would be best for a 96 civic hatch, h22a?)

No mods:
approx price = ?
approx HP = ?

With mods stated above:
approx price = ?
approx HP = ?

b18b

No mods:
approx price = ?
approx HP = ?

With mods stated above:
approx price = ?
approx HP = ?

Whoever can fill that out for me would be a lifesaver and I will give u my soulll , ill just need ur mailing address.. No refunds applicable either.

Thanks,

TiCkEr

Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 AM

i have considered all of this over and over as i am in the same boat.. i was gonna do B18C1 swap before crashing my last hatch.. with just bolt ons and some head work with tune you can hit 200whp easy.. but there are alot of costs hidden that you dont see when doing this.. depending if you want power all at once or over time.. usually depends on your budget of course.. from what many have said here you can just boost your stock D and get it tuned to 200whp for probably around 4k total cost.. that is labor and all.. others will tell you you can build your turbo for 2500 maybe less.. but this is if you have knowledge and want just any parts you can find... junkyard/ebay.. etc..B18C1 swap is gonna run you around 5k base with bolt ons if doing work yourself.. this is a JDM engine though with new hydro tranny with LSD.. you can save some money if you can skimp on this.. but with swap you are paying labor (if needed) mounts.. 325 at cheapest.. shift linkage.. axles.. then if your replacing parts anyways i figure might as well get aftermarket bolt ons while doing swap.. the route i am probably currently going will give me a little less than 200whp maybe 180 or higher.. but starting with bolt ons that i have listed through my profile link.. then MINI ME.. do some head/block work and then a tune.. after that i will see where im at track time etc.. and if not happy ill probably supercharge (40-50)hp bolt on for 2k .. or if i decide i want more power still start with base greddy turbo kit that doesnt require tune.. but still will net close to same hp as the SC to start .. costs the same.. but if i spend some more cash down the road i can get well over 200whp .. the only cost im still unsure of is the engine work.. trying to get ahold of local machine shops to see what is charged for port/polish valve job and compression rebuild..

But im just preferring to do mine by steps..to see how happy i am with the results as i go..

Old 05-24-2006, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

when u say 4k for mini swap you mean including a turbo right? I dont think I would go turbo, or not right away anyways. To acquire all this would cost me how much roughly (list below)? $1,500/2000? And with a good tuning I'd be looking at 150Hp range? That's where I'm stuck debating why not just get a whole new h22 engine for roughly the same price.. but have 200hp stock, giving me alot more room to play with once I have sufficient funds.

-D16y8 Head
-Skunk2 intake manifold
-Skun2 TB
-D16y8 Fuel Rail
-D16y8 Fuel Injectors
-P28 ECU
-AEM CAI
-Head Gasket
-Intake manifold Gasket
-Throttle Body Gasket
-Exhaust Manifold Gasket
-Timing Belt

(I've got a full exhaust system)

Old 05-24-2006, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

5k for a GSR? what kinda crack rocks are you smoking?

for that money you could get a 300hp gsr. go to sunrisejdm for a complete swap and then pull the rear engine mount out of a 99-00 si and you're swapped...thats probably 2850 total. peice together a turbo kit from petes shopping list in the DIY section, thats another 1k. get a b16 head (500), ITR exhaust cam (100), use your GSR intake cam, ITR transmission (1k), and your set for some crazy power and huge potential....on around $5,450.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:45 PM
HCF Member

Alright well I'm not looking to spend 5gs.. like I said, somewhere around the 2k area is what I'm willing to spend. So if anyone can give me an estimate on what I stated above with the mini swap and bolt ons that would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could answer my question about D,B and H series comparing their cost vs. hp.. that would also be greatly appreciated.

TiCkEr

Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 AM

2k = MINI swap with bolt ons.. or baseline supercharger or Turbo kit.. keep in mind turbo you need pro help most likely.. SC bolts right on with no prob.. all will net you close to same HP.. little less for MINI me but your buying other parts as well that you will be upgrading in the future i assume .. I/H/E etc..and H22A not a common swap that ive seen.. and you say you can pick it up for 2k.. is this with transmission.. if not this is something to consider into your price also when doing the swap.. plus mounts, shift linkage.. wiring harness, axles .. plus if your doing the work yourself or not..and once again..

5k for a GSR? what kinda crack rocks are you smoking?

this is counting all new parts and bolt ons that are recommended by several of the HCF members here including MODS..this is not just finding whatever used junk you can pickup and slapping it in there hoping it works.. just depends on your standards of quality i guess.. do a search in EK swaps for B18C1 and i have my whole layout listed of all parts and prices for everything i purchased for the swap including bolt ons and all.. this tottalled right around 5k.. and that was going with Avid mounts instead of Hasport which cost way more.. odd that in our DIY's and write ups it shows alot more than that needed for a swap.. so dont go throwing figures out unless you have done it for this cost please.. one more thing to realize is not everyone does stuff thier self.. they have labor charges.. which boost the cost way up there!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

Well I'm pretty sure I'm going to start off with a Mini me swap since I think ill learn alot in the process and for a first car it should be plenty. I'm going to start collecting the parts I need so I can do everything at once. Here is the list:

Prices are approx.

APEXi World Sport 2 Catback Exhaust $400
DC Sports Headers 4-2-1 $265
AEM V2 CAI style Intake $250
BBK Performance Throttle Body 62mm $250
Skunk2 Intake Manifold 62mm $250

Now for the mini me swap I know ill need the D16y8 Head which runs about $100, powder coated head gasket $75.. what else do I need to do the swap and what costs am I looking at?

D16y8 Fuel Rail, D16y8 Fuel Injectors, P28 ECU ? ..

Quick Reply: Mini me swap or New Engine? Which has more bang for the buck!?