Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

postpone v-tec?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:40 PM
HCF Member
Default postpone v-tec?

as excited as i am about the engine, i realy want to install the b16a that is now sitting at my house, a hoist hovering over it, ready to swap. i think it probably wise to go thru the motor a little bit, (maybe install a master gasket set?), just to check it out, or what makes the most sense? take it to shop for balancing? i have no idea how much$$ that would be. or port and polish? or have it bored? what would be the best bang for my buck, that includes a shop to work on the engine that would expose any defects before i swap?
if you get the idea of what im trying and have any idea's for me, im open. i dont want to blow the motor imediatly after i swap it.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Default RE: postpone v-tec?

i think it wise of you to do whatever you can while the motor is out, port and polish sounds mighty fine too!!!

Old 04-17-2005, 10:08 AM
HCF Member

thanks. i just need to find a shop to do the engine work. normally i like to do it myself, started reading all i could about v-tec. the more i learn the more irealize that i dont know squat and i better get professional help

Old 04-17-2005, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

anything internal will cost quite a bit. if you have the money to spare, go for it. but if you dont, then just do the gasket set, a new head gasket with ARP studs and a Hondata IM gasket. then do a new waterpump, T-belt, and a clutch. this is a perfect time for a lightweight flywheel, but if you dont do that, make sure you get your stock one resurfaced. also, put on new drivebelts for the alternator and such. it will save headaches down the road. and a new thermostat would be a cinch to install right now. thats all i can think of for now. i might think of more later. but you could always do things like cams and valves, springs, and retainers. if you take the head off to do the head gasket, go all out and do the valves and things while its off. youll be glad down the road when you want to put in stage 3 cams and you can just drop them in without worrying about your valvesprings.

Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sacicons

Hondata IM gasket.
sorry to thread jack but how well does this gasket work? is it really worth the money?

Old 04-18-2005, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

thats no thread jack. thats a good question. thats what that is. if you were to ask about his family....i'd call that a jack. but thank's for the apology all the same f.i.
ORIGINAL: finalimpact

ORIGINAL: sacicons

Hondata IM gasket.
sorry to thread jack but how well does this gasket work? is it really worth the money?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

from everyone i know whos used one, they loved it. and they say they can feel the difference in throttle response.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

i'm taking notes, if you think of anything else, please let me know. i had a couple things come up that dug into my pockets. so money got a little tight. this weekend ill start with all new gaskets, i hate leaking oil and i dont want this motor to leak a drop!!!

Old 04-18-2005, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

youll be SOOO happy that you took all this time once its in. it sucks having to go back and do all this when its in the car. i made that mistake on the b16, but i did better with the b18, and am VERY glad i did.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

thanks for all the input, dont know a helluvalot about imports and ff drive cars, been all v-8 for me till now, but, as i hope you can tell, i'm learnin'. i'm trying to learn this one a little easier on the wallet though, or i see it getting real expensive!!!!
btw just how light can i get the flywheel and not have to worry about frag'n it?
do i need to take the flywheel into consideration when selecting clutch?
and how is the family? hehe had to toss that in

Quick Reply: postpone v-tec?