Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Default rebuilding

hey guys im going to be rebuilding my motor in a couple of weeks...i wasnt gunna touch the pistons or anyof that but just replace all of the gaskets and seals and put the new head and intake mani on...i was talking to my grandpa and he sugested since im gunna have it all apart to get the rings and wristpins and main berings and stuff...he has never messed with imports so he couldnt really give me prices...how much extra money am i lookin at by doing the main bering and the rings and all that...i was originaly going to just take it apart clean it up and put new gaskets and seals in the head and stuff...my car has 2188404+ on it so id say its about time for a full overhual..but im trying to price it..thanks

Old 12-07-2004, 08:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: rebuilding

do a compression test, if it comes out good, just do the original plan. if not, go for the whole rebuild. i dont have prices right now, im sure someone will have em though.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:46 PM

ok..could u let me know how to do a compression test?..thanks

Old 12-07-2004, 08:52 PM

unless...is there a good explination of it in the haynes manual...ill look in there...thanks for ur help

Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 PM
HCF Member

yeah, there is.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:22 AM

I actually just did a post about full rebuilds which I think I'll repost. If you already know this stuff, feel free to ignore me, but there are some things that are pretty important. There might be some information in it that's pretty obvious, but it was posted for an inexperienced rebuilder, so no offense to you.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:26 AM

There's a few things you really HAVE to be nit-picky about. I don't know if you're planning to use aftermarket parts or just rebuild it OE.

If you are going for OE, the parts you need will include (Depending on how thorough you want to be):

-Crank Bearings (aka main bearings)
-Head Gasket
-Oil Pan Gasket
-Timing Belt
-Cam/Crank Seals
-Both Manifold Gaskets
-Spark Plugs
-Valve Cover Gasket/Grommets (Usually come in a set)
-Piston Rings (WARNING: I would not recommend that you try doing the rings on your own unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Don't try to do it with just a Chiltons/Haynes manual; in the long run, there's a good chance you'll leave something important out that they DON'T mention.)

1) You need to get the head surfaced at a machine shop.

2) As with any situation involving the head, you need to follow the correct pattern/torque charts when you put the head back on. Also, there are very specific torques for the connecting rod cap bolts.

3) VERY IMPORTANT: If you do the main bearings yourself, you need to tap-mark (number) each connecting rod and make sure each piston/rod/cap setup goes back into the same cylinder it came out of. This is critical to prevent the engine from burning oil post-rebuild.

4) ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: If you do the rings, for the first 1500 or so miles after you start driving it, you need to avoid cruising at steady rpms. You need to make it a habit to shift around a lot, downshift a lot on hills, and generally work the engine through a constant variety of speeds in order for the rings to wear into the cylinder walls correctly. This will prevent the rings from wearing out quickly, and will ensure that your engine doesn't burn any oil.

5) Reset the timing and adjust the valves post-rebuild.

6) Obviously, use piston cleaning solution (if you replace the piston rings, be sure to remove the rings and scrape the ring channels in the pistons BEFORE you soak the pistons).

NOTE: I'm pretty sure I left some things out. If I did, I will either edit this post or post the new information seperately.

Good Luck

Old 12-08-2004, 02:24 PM

actually i am an inexperienced rebuilder...i have never done a Complete rebuild...that info helps a lot thanks...hey i am putting a d16 head and intake mani on...so i was planning on getting a head gasket kit for the d15b2 and then buying the d16 head gasket intake gasket valve cover gasket and exaust gasket...will the ones for the d15 fit the d16 or will i need to purchase the extra gaskets?...also could u let me know what all comes in a head gasket kit?...thanks

this was my list so far maybe you could revise it...
oil pan drain plug gasket
oil pan gasket
intake gasket(d16)
head gasket(d16)
valve cover gasket(d16)
exaust gasket(d16)
timing belt(d16)
valve seals(d16)
intake and exaust seals(d16)
+whatever else that im missing from your list that i wil need

i just need to know if i buy a head gasket kit for the d15 will those gaskets and seals fit the d16 head and intake mani?...
thanks

Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 PM

The exhaust manifold gasket should work either way, but I'm not sure if the DPFI intake manifold gasket works for the D16's MPFI intake pattern.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

look into the hondata intake gasket. its thick vinyl and will keep the IM cooler.

Quick Reply: rebuilding