Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Default RE: rebuilding

can i buy it at any local parts stors?..like autozone or sumthing?

Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 PM
HCF Member

nope, try ebay. or maybe the hondata website, i dunno, do a google search, it should come up with some dealers.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:58 PM

oh ok...so u guys think i should still buy the head gasket kit for the d15 and see what will work with both..the head gasket kit i was told will come with all of the gaskets i need for the whole motor...

Old 12-08-2004, 08:06 PM

wow man did a little searching and the hondata intake gasket is pretty expensive...60 bucks and i dont knw if that included shipping...is it really worth the extra money?

Old 12-08-2004, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

i think so.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:26 AM

i found some decent sites that explained what gaskets i will need for the d16...everything that comes off of the ehad basicly...even tho i dont need any of the uper end gaskets for the d15 do u think getting the head gasket kit for that motor for all of the other gaskets i need is worth it..or would it be cheaper to peiice all of the gaskets together...and do u know if the valve seals or aanything like that comes with the head gasket kit will fit the vtec head or will i need to get those for the 92-95 civic too?..thanks for ur help

Old 12-09-2004, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

1) You need to get the head surfaced at a machine shop.
if you do this (which is a really good idea) tell them to take off about 20 thousanths. this will raise the compression. though you will definately need premium gas after this swap either way. i believe with the y8 head on a d15, that the CR is around 10.5:1, then with about 20 thousanths, you are looking at close to 11:1. that is about the max you should run on pump gas. you may be able to get away with 25 thousanths if you can get the 93 octane. then set the timing right at the stock 16*. just a litle info, not too sure about your gasket question though.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:29 PM

i mentiond this to my gramps and he told me to be careful that the head has not been planed before...is there a way to tell or what?..

Old 12-10-2004, 01:07 PM

You should be able to find the standard head thickness somewhere. Also, when heads are machined, they are left with telltale circular patterns on the surface. Depending on how clean your engine is, you may not be able to see these. Also, even if you can find them, you will have no way of knowing whether the head was simply routinely machined or whether it was shaved at all. You could probably tell pretty easily depending on who owned the car before you.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:13 AM

hey do u guys think i should save the extra money needed to put different pistons and rods in wen i do it or just put it back together with new gaskets and stuff then save for the pistons and rods...then i will have to take it apart again to have the bore over and put the new stuff....my friend got hooked up the aries (i think thats the name) pistons and he had his block bored .40 over....the only thing is i dont know how much more its gunna cost me...what are some good pistons and rods that will be good for when i turbo but not too expensive?...the not to expensice kinda has to include the bore over too..thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: rebuilding