Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Regular vs Synthetic Oil

Old 07-06-2006, 08:17 AM
HCF Member
Default Regular vs Synthetic Oil

My car is due for an oil change and I've been wondering about whether to continue using regular or synthetic oil.

In all the cars I've ever driven, I've only ever used regular oil. I will occasionally use an additive like Slick 50, or even Z-Max to help with protection (if in fact it even does anything.....), but this is the first time I've own a high revving engine, and so I've been kicking around the idea of using a synthetic. I've spoken with my mechanic, but he seems to think that I shouldn't waste my money on synthetic, and that regular is all I need. But I drive A LOT, and rack up the miles pretty quick (oil change pretty much every two months....), and was wondering if the synthetic would be best to use since I can get more miles out of each change.

I have a manual '96 Civic Si/Ex with a D16Y8, and about 236,000 km's (~147,000 miles). It's my daily driver, and I rack up the miles pretty quick, but I do also like to enjoy openning it up as well (love that vtec sound....), and she does burn up some oil between changes. The only mod I have is a CAI with a K&N cone filter.

Which would be better to use? Any pro's or con's for either choice? Suggestions or opinnions?

Thanks for the help!!

Curlybandit

Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Regular vs Synthetic Oil

It would prolly be a bad idea to start using synthetic oil since your car has so many miles on it. Higher milage engine need thicker oil to take up the space b/w the bearings and synthetic oil is alot thinner. If it was a brand new engine than it would be a good idea, but on such an old engine it prolly isn't worht it.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:14 PM

what about a car that has 30k miles on it?

still considered new?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 PM

Ive been happy with 20w 50 regular

Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM

I have ran Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters in the last two vehicles and have been pretty happy (except for cost! 5 bucks a quart and 12 bucks for a filter). I usually wait untill I have atleast 5,000 miles on it for break in, I don't know if you have to wait that long, it is just something I do myself.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: pikchur

what about a car that has 30k miles on it?

still considered new?

new enough for Synthetic. i just put Amsoil in my 03 LX with 55k miles on it.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

Don’t buy the bs about not being able to switch to synthetic in vehicles with higher mileage. I have heard all kinds of myths about oil pressure dropping, being too thin, washing out the bearings, etc. It’s not true. I’m not trying to flame any one by all means, I just believe you are misinformed. The only problems that may arrive are if your car leaks oil, synthetic will leak faster do to its higher viscosity, but it is by all means not any thinner than regular oil. Also, you should do shorter intervals the first 2 or 3 oil changes because of synthetic oils cleaning power compared to conventional oils. Conventional oil leaves sludge behined, and synthetic does not. This way you lower the risk of dislodging sludge in your motor and possible blocking oil passages. Just my 2 cents, and again im not trying to flame anyone.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

omg so, which one is good for a teenage civic (50k-100K)??? come on admin or experts...answer plz!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 01:51 AM

iv ran synthetic when i had the money. and with 100k miles it burned about 1 quart every 4k miles. which is ok. but it doesnt burn any when i change it at 5k with regular oil. so go for it, but keep an eye on it.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:59 PM

I have a 1999 civic ex, with just under 100k on it, what type of oil would you suggest?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Regular vs Synthetic Oil