Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

removing ac

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Default removing ac

i dont no if this is in the right section but im going to ask anyways

i have a 1999 civic ex with some boltons and was wondering if anyone can help me and give me some info on how to remove the ac from my car. My ac doesnt work anyways and it isnt hot where i live anyways so any additional power gained through that would help. If u could just tell me wat to remove and how. My best friend is a mechanic and his dad has a shop so we were goin to go there one night and do it and i was wondering if anyonen had any experience in doing this .
Thank you any help would be appreciated

Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Default RE: removing ac

you need to go to dealership or other store who can remove AC fluid professionally and safely. it's very poisonous.
then probably unbolt your AC from the engine and heater core under the glove compartment.
you will probably need to reroute coolant lines that go into heater core inside. usually it's closing 2 aluminum outlets near thermostat area.

not familiar with civics but this is pretty much what you have to do on most cars.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: removing ac

You don't gain any power per se but it potentially makes the car a tiny bit faster only because you make it a little lighter. I doubt the entire system weighs more than about 50 pounds so it hardly seems worth it.

First make sure the system is empty. It's possible it has all leaked out already, if not places like Jiffy Lube have started offering refrigerant charging or removal service. Then just unbolt the parts. Cap off all the refrigerant ports with tape to keep dirt out if you plan on selling or reusing the parts later. If you're going to remove the evaporator box under the dash you will need to obtain the bypass air duct that is used in cars without A/C so the heater and defroster will work. Or you can remove the box, open it and take out the evaporator, and put the empty box back in.