Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Replacing Alternator on 93

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:25 AM
Default Replacing Alternator on 93

Gotta replace my alternator. Anyone have any tips / tricks / suggestions to make it a lot easier? Will have to do this on the side of a freeway, so looking to get it done as quick as possible so I don't become roadkill.

Has anyone replaced an alternator in a 92-95, if so, how difficult was it and are there any things that I need to remove before I can get to it?

Also, does anyone have an idea as to the measurements of the terminal nut, through bolt, and mouthing bracket bolts.

Thanks...

Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Replacing Alternator on 93

you wil need to dissconnect the battery, jack the car up, put it on jack stands. then undo the power cable (i belive it is a 12 or 14) and the othersnap in connector on the alternator.

then undo the top bolt of the alternator, i want to say it is a 14 but it may not. this one is sometimes stuck, bring some pb blaster. its also pretty long so be prepared to got at it with the ratchet for a while.

once that bolt is off, there is a rather large bolt / pin that holds the bottom of the alternator on, this is the hinging point, i want to say it is 17, but i honestly cant rember. You may want to pb blaster this too, and then go at it, it might help to have a breaker bar. once the nut is off, support the alternator and pull the bolt out (depending on how old it is u may need a hammer to hit it out)

once the alternator is loose, you should beable to lower it past the axel. I hat to twist and turn mine alot to make it fit, but it does fit through.

My recomendation is to bring a good socket and rench set that has metrics 10 - 17 atleast. also bring a braaker bar, pb blaster, a hammer, a screwdriver, and a punch.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:20 AM

Thank you for the info. Good to know all of what would might be needed so I don't have to go back and forth seeing as the car is quite a bit away from anywhere useful.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:20 AM
HCF Member

if u can wait till tonight, i might be able to poke around under my car and find the exact socket sizes

Old 07-31-2007, 03:31 AM

Hey, don't worry about it,I bit the bullet and got it towed. Didn't want to, but I feel better working on it in my driveway than on the side of the road where I already saw a downed light pole right next to where my car broke down.
Gonna get a chance to work on it this afternoon.

Thanks again cplrampage, im not used to getting a useful response. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 AM
HCF Member

Yeah np, this forum is pretty good with fast helpfull responses, deffinatly my favorite. let me know if u have any problems taking it out.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I would've suggested either take your battery out and recharge it, or bring another good battery to the car. Then you can just slap the live battery in and drive to a safer place, or possibly even home, to change the alternator.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 PM

anyone know whats the best way to get to the top bolt of the alternator? ive got at it for about 3 hours now and cant seem to find the right tool to break it loose. its already startings to strip. seems like a socket and wratchet is too big so i tried some wrenchs and no luck. any ideas?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 AM
HCF Member

my top bolt was stuck in there very good, so what i did was undo the bolt that was screwed into the bloack out, and then remeoved the altrenator, and put it in the vice, and used the impact gun to run it in and out so the threads were clean.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 PM

well with the bolt on the top left out and the bolt on the bottom out it seems like it wont budge. am i missing something? do i have to remove the belt before it will budge?

Quick Reply: Replacing Alternator on 93