Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Replacing Alternator on 93

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Default RE: Replacing Alternator on 93

I got the alternator loose, i just can't get it out from the car. There's too much **** in the way. I tried a couple diff places and it doesn't seem to fit out any gaps. How can I get the alternator out, and the new one in... without removing the axle... i tried to remove the hinge that the alternator moves around on, but I couldn't get the leverage to break them loose. Any suggestions? How did you get yours out cpl rampage? I tried twistin and turnin it for a longtime and it just seemed like there was no way it could come out....

Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: computerwiz12345

well with the bolt on the top left out and the bolt on the bottom out it seems like it wont budge. am i missing something? do i have to remove the belt before it will budge?
try hitting it towards the engine so that the belt will losten up and then you can just pry it back and forth, sometimes the hinge on the bottom gets rusted together.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:23 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: simmeth

I got the alternator loose, i just can't get it out from the car. There's too much **** in the way. I tried a couple diff places and it doesn't seem to fit out any gaps. How can I get the alternator out, and the new one in... without removing the axle... i tried to remove the hinge that the alternator moves around on, but I couldn't get the leverage to break them loose. Any suggestions? How did you get yours out cpl rampage? I tried twistin and turnin it for a longtime and it just seemed like there was no way it could come out....
I went past the axel, and didnt have to take out the axel, i dk if it is because of a different year/model, we have the same gen. if that doesnt work, i think i also took the alternator mounting barcket off of the engine, and once i did that i could take the alt out. i do remember taking that lower bracket off, i just cant remember if it was so i could take out the alt, or just to clean it.

i heard it is possable to remove through the top, u have to take off some stuff up there though.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you can't get the bracket off, I think you will have to pop the axle out and lower it down. Only undo the ball joint and swing the wheel assembly out so the axle can pull out of the transmission. You don't have to go thru the complete axle removal process of undoing the fork or taking the nut off of the axle at the wheel..

Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Haha.. well, I don't exactly have the best tools to get that bracket off. Same thing goes for the axle. Actually its time to replace the axle because of the CV Joint. $75 a pop for an axle, looks like its gonna be a ***** to do. No experience in doing axles and looking at other forum writeups, looks like its involved. Will I have to change my trans fluid? 5-spd.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you don't have heavy tools, now you have an excuse to buy some. But if you don't have money either, the axle can wait. I think the alternator will come out thru the top if you remove the brake master cylinder, of course you'd have to bleed the brakes afterward.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 AM

I got everything but the bottom hinge apart, I cant get the bolt to slide out of the holding bracket. I tried hitting it with a hammer and heating it. Also tried wedging a screwdriver and wonderbar between the square head on the other side. Its not moving at all. Anything I am missing/tips?