Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Replacing Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 AM
HCF Member

for a water pump i dont think i'd use a sillacone sealer. Honda reccomends a type of anarobic sealer for any coolant related metal to metal seals.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM

I'm having trouble getting the crank shaft pulley nut off. I'm turning it counter clockwise (left) and its not budging. In fact my 1/2" drive extension just snapped. It wasn't a name brand but I'm worried at the amount of torque I'm applying and want to make sure I'm turning it in the correct direction, because if I snap the pulley bolt I'm super screwed.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Counter-clockwise is the correct direction for removal. That bolt is a bitch.

1) Soak that bolt with a good penetrating oil before attempting removal.

2) Replace the 1/2" extension with a 17-mm 1/2" deep socket.

3) Use a 24" breaker bar and extend it further with 3-4' of galvanized pipe that fits snuggly at the end of the breaker. This will give you the necessary torque. A bit of bouncing motion with your body weight may be needed to produce the bolt-breaking force.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
Counter-clockwise is the correct direction for removal. That bolt is a bitch.

1) Soak that bolt with a good penetrating oil before attempting removal.

2) Replace the 1/2" extension with a 17-mm 1/2" deep socket.

3) Use a 24" breaker bar and extend it further with 3-4' of galvanized pipe that fits snuggly at the end of the breaker. This will give you the necessary torque. A bit of bouncing motion with your body weight may be needed to produce the bolt-breaking force.
thx,
I sprayed W-d 40 last night with no effect. I went out and bought a Craftsman 10" impact extension (every time I try to save money with a cheap tool I get burned). I'm already using a deep impact socket because I had a feeling it was going take a lot of torque. There's no room between the frame and pulley so I'm using the extensions to work from outside the wheel well (the extensions seem to be the weakest link).

Still no luck but I'm starting to understand whats going on. The engine is flexing on the motor mounts which is absorbing the torque when I apply force. I might have to find someone with air to break it free.

Last edited by Pete Cofran; 09-20-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you extension was just cheap metal! been there done that bought some craftsman or snapon extensions and never had them snap again. more money YES. but can replace about 5+cheapies if they keep breaking.LOL

Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When I replaced the timing belt on my 97 Civic DX, there was enough room to work without an extension. I used a deep socket attached directly to the 24" breaker bar. I think the extension is reducing your torque force. Try raising the front end higher to create more room and eliminate the need for the extension.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Success at last! I repositioned the breaker bar holding the pulley. I wedged it into the front axle and pulled up instead of down on the other breaker bar. This prevented the engine from flexing on the mounts, directing the torque to turning the bolt instead of lifting the engine.

Originally Posted by RonJ
When I replaced the timing belt on my 97 Civic DX, there was enough room to work without an extension. I used a deep socket attached directly to the 24" breaker bar. I think the extension is reducing your torque force. Try raising the front end higher to create more room and eliminate the need for the extension.
I think there was a redesign in 1997. The pulley holder tool is too wide to allow a breaker bar in between.

Last edited by Pete Cofran; 09-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Pete Cofran
I think there was a redesign in 1997. The pulley holder tool is too wide to allow a breaker bar in between.
Congrats on sweet success! Looks identical to my 97 Civic. I positioned the hex tool 90-degrees counter-clockwise from what is shown in the picture.

Last edited by RonJ; 09-20-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:46 PM

hmm, thread jacking real quick...
i need to change my timing belt real soon.
do you think i can break it free with an impact wrench and a big compressor or am i gonna have to buy the pulley tool?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

An impact wrench seems to make the job much easier, but you need a very good compressor. Others may be able to tell you minimum specs for this component.

Quick Reply: Replacing Timing Belt