Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Some much needed rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 AM
HCF Member
Default Some much needed rebuild help

Alright. So now that I have my SOHC zc running i want to rebuild the dohc zc for about 8lbs of boost down the road. Now im not looking for a 450 whp 40 psi monster like riceburners, just 8lbs (maybe less) and i would like my engine not to explode (like flips will)

So. Right now the engine has had the head resurfaced, the block decked, ARP headstuds. The vavles were pressure checked and they are good.

The main problem with the engine is in the piston/rings/piston walls and that was what was causeing it to smoke so thats the main area im going to focus on with my rebuild.

So my question is what should I do with the pison/piston walls/rings/rods/bearings. I understand I should upgrade the rods thats easy, ill probably go with the tunertoys rods. I understand how to and what i need for the bearings. But my question is on the pistons

since oil was leeking through and i want a strong bottom end should I hoon and bore out the cylindar walls and get new pistons and rings and if so what sizes do I do with that. Or do I just need to get the cylindar walls hooned and get new rings for my pistons. Or can i just get the cylindar walls hooned and bored and get larger rings?

I just don't understand how that works.