Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transaxle Oil Seal Leak?! How much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Default Transaxle Oil Seal Leak?! How much?

[IMG][/IMG]
Hi All,

New to this forum and I've got a nice lil '90 Honda Civic Ex, who has just over 113,000 miles on her, and I don't want to let her go, cause car payments suck, and I think she still has a lot of life in her. My latest dilemna is that there is an oil leak under the driver's wheel well..it's all over the transaxle and dripping onto the ground...just started over the past week. There is a bit of a burning smell in the left air vent ..I've had troubel with a leak in my ac system..but the fluid levels are good for both anti-freeze and oil...although they did say it was a quart low the last time I had an oil change..but that it was normal for a car that old. My concern is..this is a notable leak..it just started over the past two days, and it gets worse when I crank the car up..so...how much are these oil seals in the tranny..it's just on the one side..but it's all in the wheel well? What will it cost me you think? Or am I just going to have to live with it?

Thanks!

aj

Old 09-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Default RE: Transaxle Oil Seal Leak?! How much?

Have you gotten your oil changed recently, the oil filter might not be on tight enough, or it could be damaged.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:10 PM

Yes, she's due for an oil change...which I'll get this weekend..probably time for a new filter too..but what was causing the leak was the AC Radiator Fan died...and it put too much pressure on the valve, which caused the oil to blow out.....sucked it up and paid for a new fan today, because it's too hot in Texas to go without AC! They replaced the fan, refilled the AC system and cleaned the engine underneath, so hopefully no more expensive repairs for a while! Sheesh...just replaced the distributor and the main relay over this past year and had the AC flush and fill at the beginning of the summer...when the AC went out, now here I am having to pay for a new fan...argh!

Still better than a car payment...[:'(]

This is a great forum.!

aj
[&:]

Old 09-26-2005, 07:00 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I hope you can get it sorted out, because that's still pretty low mileage for a car that old.

welcome to the forum!