Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

trying to fix my 96 civic motor, but failing. HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Default trying to fix my 96 civic motor, but failing. HELP!!!!!

I got a 96 civicDX with the stock D16Y7 motor, and no money. I was driving up a hill and heard a knocking in my engine. It turned out to be that I “spun a rod bearing” I don’t know much about cars but like I said I have no money so I tried to fix it myself. Took my head off looked around at the pistons and valves. looked ok other than 160,000 mi worth of **** built up in there. Took off my oil pan and took out the main bearings and rod bearings. Cylinder 2, 3, and 4 were ok, but I replaced them anyways. Cylinder 1 was F**ked the main bearing was all chewed up and the rod bearings were melted together. I didn’t want to take the whole motor apart because I don’t know the first part of how to do that so I just “slid” the main bearings out I couldn’t get the top half of the main bearing to “slide out” so I left it. Two little U shaped things fell out of the engine when I was turning the crank one was kind of hanging so I put it where I thought it went, in between the cylinder 3 and 4 rods after replacing all the stuff back where It was suppose to go. I put the oil pan back on with a new gasket. Put the head back on with a new gasket, as well as the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. I turned the crank till the number 1 cylinder was at the top. It was a b!tch to turn I did up all the timing the way it was suppose to go. And when it came time to start my car……….nothing. the starter just kept clicking. I then tried to push start it and all I ended up doing was burning up my clutch. I have NO IDEA how to fix it and I feel beaten. If you could help out it would be much appreciated. Maybe I forgot to unplug something before taking it apart. Or maybe I need to reset the ecu? I don’t know.

p.s. and yes i rememberd to put oil in it

Old 11-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Default RE: trying to fix my 96 civic motor, but failing. HELP!!!!!

As for the starter, just make sure you have everything pluged in including the one single wire on the starter.
As for the engine rebuild you have to replace all rod and main bearings. when doing so remember to put assembly lube on the friction side of the bearing and keep the other side spot free. Also look into getting a book for your car. If you need more help feel free to PM me. I'm good with the engine.