Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Turbo Z6 or H22 Swap??

Old 09-02-2007, 09:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Turbo Z6 or H22 Swap??

I am contemplating... I either want to spend my money on the Edelbrock Performer X turbo kit for my Z6 or do an H22 swap. I figure if I do the Performer X on the Z6 I may find myself getting comfortable with it and grow tired of it... where as with the H22 I may have more options to build with.

Here is a link to the Performer X for those who are not familiar with the kit:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...rformerx.shtml

Also; if I am to do an H22 or H22a Swap; does anyone know a trusted source where I can aquire an H22/H22a & 5speed tranny, ecu, drive axles and harnesses?

I am knowledgeable on turbo installation and engine swaps. I have researched both of these options thoroughly. I know the H22 swap will be more expensive in the long run. Especially if I end up turboing it after the install. I suppose I am just looking for opinions on the matter. The cost does not matter.

I am dropping either into a 93 Civic EX.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbo Z6 or H22 Swap??

Turbo the D

Old 09-02-2007, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

If you turbo that H your looking at a short life span with FRM sleeves. Turbo the D. For the same price you could have a 300+ hp D series.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 AM
HCF Member

drop a turbo in the d series
and youll never get tired of beating people if you drop a turbo in it.
how much do h22's run in coparisons to b16 and 18's

Old 09-03-2007, 07:01 AM
HCF Member

Sweet, I will turbo the D.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

ya gettin blown is awesome

Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 AM

before giving you an answer to your question what would you really want to do with the car?

me personally i would like more power and torque in my car, but also some relialbility as well.

the turbo d gives power and torque, but it can also give you a lot less reliability in the long run due to all the extra stress on the engine.

the stock h22 swapped in will give you more power and a lot more torque, (proably not as much as the turbo d), and be more reliable than the turbo setup, and provide years of use and low maintenace if taken care of.

now i am not saying the d turbo is not reliable, but an engine that was not designed for a turbo will not hold up forever. look at fortys setup, it was a solid setup on his y8, but the stupid turbo oil drain line feeding into the pan broke, lost all the oil and killed the engine. with a relativly stock engine you have a ton more reliability even tho it might cost a bit more up front.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 AM
HCF Member

well hold on, is this a built turbo D or a stock engine? Theres the real question. The H in a civic may have rubbing issues, clearance issues, and tranny issues. Just remember you should take the H for what it is and dont plan on boosting it.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 AM
HCF Member

If you boost the D right it will be great. Take it to a professional tuner and youre reliability will be much better. Upgrading the cooling system is always a good idea too. Lower temp thermostat, better radiator, possibly an oil cooler. Boost is definetly fun. I had a turbo D, but it was not dyno tuned. I was using a greddy fmu,and the motor blew up. Im not sure if it was lack of fuel, but im sure it was because I was running 10 psi. After that blew up I just wanted a stock motor, so I did a JDM GSR swap. I kinda wish I had a Z6 built thou, and boosted. Either way you will be happy, but I just love the TQ from boost.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

Good info. The z6 is built. I'm to the point where all I need is a turbo, or an engine swap. I looked into it more and I am definitley turboing the z6. There is a nice shop about an hour from my house that can tune it for me. The owner races and specializes in hondas; you should see his collection! I will post pictures as I go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Z6 or H22 Swap??