Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Update: Need some help finishing up the mini-me...

Old 03-03-2006, 08:02 AM
HCF Member
Default Update: Need some help finishing up the mini-me...

Well, finally got the timing done last night... put everything back together. And my car wont even try and turn over. On the stock valve cover... there was a ground that went from the front drivers side of the core support to the valve cover, I didnt put it on this cover b/c it wouldn't reach. Could that be the reason behind it not turning over. Also, I didnt swap the computer over yet, so it will be running with no vtec. Would that cause it to not start. I've heard that you can do it w/o the computer... but is there anything special I have to do. I didnt touch the starter, or anything on the block, so you'd figure that it would at least turn over. It was 130 in the a.m. when we got it done, so I really didnt troubleshoot it, just looking for some advice on what to look at when I get home.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Default RE: Need some help finishing up the mini-me...

more than likely its that ground you didnt put back on the valve cover. find a way to make a longer piece and then try to turn it over. yea the ecu won't affect the car not starting. and like you said the only thing it will change is the fact that you won't have the v-tec kick in til you get the new ecu.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

That's the answer I was hoping for ... you gave me a little something to look forward to when I get in the garage. Everything went wrong last night.. lol. Thanks. And as for the ecu... I woulda had it but the dizzy was a little more important.. [:@]

Old 03-03-2006, 02:07 PM

how long did it take to do the swap? once i have all my parts i'm doing the same but y8 head. any problems you encountered that would be a bitch to fix other than the ground wire?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

CX mini-me info...

That's the start of a how-to for a z6 head to a d15b8 block on a cx...

major problems...
- crankshaft pulley bolt is a pain is the a**.. definitely need air.
- had to buy a new dizzy... only problem there is that they're expensive...
- the head bolts for my block were extremely hard to find.

It took about 8 hours total... aside from waiting for parts... probably would of taken less time but I blew my head gasket and had to flush everything out.

***what model civic do you have?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:52 PM

94 dx d15b7 engine. how much did the dizzy run you? yea i'm not going to take anything apart til i have all the parts i need.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: psychocivic

94 dx d15b7 engine. how much did the dizzy run you? yea i'm not going to take anything apart til i have all the parts i need.
I only did b/c I couldnt drive my car anyways... In store... the dizzy's averaged $230 - 400. I got a street import dizzy off ebay for 109. Seems to be pretty good, I'll let ya know when I get it started... hopefully tonight. And the head bolts for the b7 are common... everyone kept tryin to sell me those and not the ones for the b8, so you got no worries there.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 PM

cool. yea i hope it will only take a few hours for mine with all the parts, and since i don't have an air gun the pulley will prolly be a prob for me too. oh well. as long as i can do it lol.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

400 bucks for a distributor? are you kidding me?

Old 03-03-2006, 03:09 PM
HCF Member

I didn't have air either. What I would suggest --> before you start. take your car to a shop and have them break it free for you, and either put it back on and drive it home (then at least it wont be seized on, or have them just pull the pulley off and tow it home. I had to tow my car to a shop to have them do it... threw em 20 bucks and was done. after a few hours of doing everything we could think of to get it off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update: Need some help finishing up the mini-me...