Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

V6 swap help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Exclamation V6 swap help/advice

Hey all! I'll try to make this as short as possible....

I'm new to the world of Honda Civic's. My uncle gave me his 1998 Civic 4 door LX for free once I got my license (I know, I'm "just" a kid.....). It has a D16Y7 engine which, understandably, fails to impress much. However, my GF has a 2001 Accord V6 EX and it's amazing! Smooth and fast with a nice V6 rumble. Needless to say, I'm a bit jealous. Since I got my car for free and I have quite a handsome sum of cash saved up, I thought I'd throw a bit at my ride.

I've seen a few folks that have swapped a 3.0 liter V6 from an Accord in Civics before. I'm very interested in doing a swap, since it will be smooth, reliable, and decently economical rather than swapping in a B-series engine that would be slightly less so (mostly in the smoothness category). I've found a clean V6/5-speed manual tranny combo with around 50K miles and the dude will sell it to me for around $800.

So my questions are, if I bought this engine.....

1) what else would I need to modify to accommodate this beast? My original thoughts were that I'd need new fuel pump, braket/mounts, and radiator. maybe I'm missing something? maybe I'm wrong?

2) roughly how much would all these parts/labor cost (excluding the engine)?

3) would it even be worth it?

Many thanks!!!

(Edit: It's gonna be a bone stock V6, nothing fancy. No turbos or jet packs or anything like that lol)

Last edited by atreyu; 04-04-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: just like to add
Old 04-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Send a PM (private message) to Splat.

Also, check out his project thread in the project section.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Send a PM (private message) to Splat.

Also, check out his project thread in the project section.
alrighty, thanks. I wasn't quite sure which one to post under, sorry.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by atreyu
alrighty, thanks. I wasn't quite sure which one to post under, sorry.
no its fine you posted it here, he is saying take a look at another members project in the project section. Splat is his name and he is almost done with a v6 swap. Its a lot of work and takes a lot of modification. You probably wont be able to do this yourself judging from the fact that you are new. How much money do you have saved up? I would look into a b18 swap as it is much easier. Depending on how much you have to spend, you could then turbo it. All depends on how much money you got, either way it going to be expensive cause I doubt you have the tools or skill(no offense) to do a v6 swap. Even Splat is getting help. Anyways good luck with the swap.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM

Yea, don't be sorry. I was just trying to help you out because if you have any questions about a V6 swap, he's definitely who you want to ask.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 PM

ahh ok, misunderstanding. thanks =]

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by croninc
no its fine you posted it here, he is saying take a look at another members project in the project section. Splat is his name and he is almost done with a v6 swap. Its a lot of work and takes a lot of modification. You probably wont be able to do this yourself judging from the fact that you are new. How much money do you have saved up? I would look into a b18 swap as it is much easier. Depending on how much you have to spend, you could then turbo it. All depends on how much money you got, either way it going to be expensive cause I doubt you have the tools or skill(no offense) to do a v6 swap. Even Splat is getting help. Anyways good luck with the swap.
yeah I'd definitely have someone else install it. I dont have the tools at all.

well over 10K (I've been saving since I was 12, lol). but I wouldn't wanna spend too much more than half of that. so figure 6K tops. The engine I had in mind was a J30A1.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by atreyu
yeah I'd definitely have someone else install it. I dont have the tools at all.

well over 10K (I've been saving since I was 12, lol). but I wouldn't wanna spend too much more than half of that. so figure 6K tops. The engine I had in mind was a J30A1.
o fosho, thats a really good amount. D@mn i would do a b18 swap and turbo if I had that money, but its always good to be different!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:25 PM

you could also do a k series swap and build it with that kind of money to and the good thing about doing a k swap or a b swap is the amount of aftermarket support for them but you said you are goin to leave it stock right? the v6 would be an awsome swap though if you check out you tube theres a video of hasports eg with a v6 swap putting down some good numbers but i wouldnt neccesarily rule out k series and b series motors just yet as they are tried and proven motors. but you gotta do whats gonna make you happy because when it comes down to it tuning is about that individuals likes and not jumping on the bandwagon as they say.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

If I were you, I would sell the car for a profit and go buy a nicer/faster car in the first place. I'd rather buy a bimmer or lexus for that amount you have saved up.