Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Valve Spring keeper in Block..maybe...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Default Valve Spring keeper in Block..maybe...

A buddy and I are in process of installing new valve spring and retainers. However, it was late and we were kinda tired and we think one of the valve keepers fell down into the block. I know we can try a magnet that can get down there, but I was wondering if anyone else had any quick solutions w/o ripping everything out. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW it's a 99 d16y8 if that changes anything.Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Valve Spring keeper in Block..maybe...

Your probably going to have to drop the oil pan.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:00 AM

That's it? My friend was telling me if that happens, the entire motor must be pulled to get that little piece out. If the oil pan needs to be dropped, then that shouldn't be a big deal. I'll run it by him. Thanks Mr Mobsta Man.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
HCF Member

if you think it went down into the engine, it may have been possible that it went under a valve and into the cylinder. if there is even the slightest chance that may have happened i would pull the head. the last thing you want is that retainer clip geting between the piston and the cylinder wall. it may be a pain in the *** but its worth the hour or 2 it takes so that you are not destroying a motor.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya two things to try is drop the oil pan and see if you see it... if not then i would sugest pulling a spark plug and stick a small magnet into the cylinder walls and HOPE if it did fall down thru a open valve that it catches.... if still not. put the oil pan back up to the motor only with afew bolts holding it to the block but not tight or sealed yet... then use a air gun and blow air all around the motor..... if your lucky it will fall out into the oil pan... or be forced into the cylinder where you can again try and find it in the cylinder or pan with the magnet....

BUT if you cannt find it....... tear the motor apart and find it!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks for all the responses, my buddy woke the next day and called me with the solution. As you all stated first, we dropped the oil pan and there is was. It gave me a chance to replace the oil pan gasket while I was down there. Right now we are putting everything else back into the car and having troble getting the timing belt tight. We are waiting on a part in order to fix this. Not sure of the name of the part needed. I basically just listen to my friend, who is a total Honda Civic know-all. Again, thanks for the help!!! Can't wait to get the car running again!