Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Very low idle issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Default Very low idle issues.....

I'm hoping I can find some help here with a problem I have with my Honda. I have a 95 EX 1.6 with 173k on it that I picked up last summer as a DD to save miles on my Trans Am. Everything was fine with the car till last week when the CEL came on. Car was running fine for the ride home from work after the CELbut when I took it out to the store after a few short minutes the next dayit started to idle rough and wanted to die. I got it home and the next day we checked the code and got a 12 which is the EGR. Thing is mine is one of the few that doesn’t havean EGR.

We cleared the ECU and then started up the car again. The car still had the rough idle and the RPM’s dropped from 1k to 300 or so. There was a slight pinging…noticed that when we started it up before but it went away after the first couple minutes. After that the car ran fine and the idle was smooth. We took it out for a test drive and it seemed fine except for the idle was low…at about 100…car didn’t stall though. We thought everything was fine and took the car out later to make sure. The CEL came on after a minute but car ran fine then the light went out. Still had the low idle. Coming to a stop it would hover at 1k then drop to 500…go up slightly then drop to 100 at total stop. We put a new fuel filter on this weekend, compression is fine, checked the IACV and it was super clean. Also attempted to adjust the idle speed according the the Helm’s I have but when the 2P was disconnected from the IACV the car wont even start. If anyone can help with this we would greatly appreciate it.

-Michelle

Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Very low idle issues.....

it sounds like you have a pretty irratic idle, and considering you've already checked the main areas (iavc) and your cel keeps going on and off, you might have either a primary or secondary oxygen sensor failure. try going to an auto parts store and ask to use one of their code readers to see exactly what's causing the cel to flash on and off.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. I wasnt sure the car would make it to the store or not. I had read about the o2 sensor causing problems with the idle but then it was a host of other issues as well.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

and p.s. you can't tell if the idle spikes below about 400-500 rpm because it doesn't read that low and it's not accurate enough.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 AM

Well right now it sits at the line right before the 0....not normal correct? I was pretty sure it sat higher then that prior. It gets pretty bad gas mileage...almost as bad as my 2000 T/A ! I read that a bad o2 could cause that as well. Thanks for the insight ...greatly appreciated

Old 05-27-2008, 07:38 AM
HCF Member

correct

Old 05-27-2008, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

If that doesnt work check the plugs wires distributor cap and rotor. Also could be my favorite the TPS sensor which has given me plenty of trouble. Oh is it hesitating/jumpy when accelerating.Oxygen sensor is a good bet though to.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM

We checked the plugs...everything ok and compression was fine. New plugs were put in last summer but stock wires. Car doesnt hesitate or jump. It runs fine with the exception of the low idle.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Pull the CEL code again as it may be different now:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

I think you have a dirty or faulty fast idle valve:

Name:  picture_0953.jpg
Views: 4050
Size:  101.4 KB

Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. The CEL light isnt on anymore so I wont be able to get a code until it comes back on again. I'll have my b/f check the Fast Idle Valve though. Thanks

Quick Reply: Very low idle issues.....