Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Vitara Pistons

Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
HCF Member
Default Vitara Pistons

Up to how much horsepower can the vitara pistons withstand? as a daily driver.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+horsep...tons+withstand

To answer, it's kinda hard to give you a good number, will you be upgrading your rods as well?

If I had to guess, I would say around 250-300 DD is more than acceptable with Vitara's. Just get the 20 over and have your block bored a little to fit them to avoid the dreaded vitara piston slap at stock 75mm bore.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Default how much power can vitaras handle

http://www.answers.com/topic/honda-d-engine

this is a link on honda engines. scroll about halfway down the page and it gives you lots of info including that the vitaras drop the compression down to 8.5:1 depending on a otherwise stock engine and can handle 500 horsepower

Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by frankysfree
http://www.answers.com/topic/honda-d-engine

this is a link on honda engines. scroll about halfway down the page and it gives you lots of info including that the vitaras drop the compression down to 8.5:1 depending on a otherwise stock engine and can handle 500 horsepower
What I underlined in the quote of you is wrong. Did you read that link you posted????? I'll quote it

"They drop compression down to around 8.5:1 depending on the motor and have been said to handle up to 500 hp. Of course as mentioned before the stock rods will fail far before that."

Kinda missed that last sentence huh? Read it over again, you'll find this...

"These pistons are commonly referred to as Vitaras, and they provide an 8.5:1 compression ratio, and thicker ring lands. Lowering the stock compression ratio lowers compression heat, which raises the detonation threshold and is useful when employing forced induction. There have been reports of over 400 hp (300 kW) to the front wheels utilizing these."

So a few reports of 400 hp and over. The stock sleeves can't handle much more than 400hp. The OP asked for a reliable DD set-up. So once again, I'll say 250-300 reliably.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 PM

You are correct Pat i left out the last part. Thats the reason i posted the link. I assumed that he would follow the link and read it for himself along with the whole article. There is alot i didnt mention from the article. and i was just stating what the article read as far as how much horsepower the pistons could handle. I also assumed that he would realize that maximum gainable horsepower is higher than what you would want to run on a daily driver. so all cleared up now

Old 08-13-2009, 04:34 PM

and why do people critisize other peoples posts?? i posted the link so he could read it himself, and only quoted a small portion of the article concerning exactly what he asked about. do you want me to also quote what the stock crankshaft can handle even though he asked about the pistons??

Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM

lol at using my first name.

And what if he didn't read the article? You can't assume he/she will read it. Hell, I didn't even read it, I skimmed it for about 15 seconds, just because I knew what you said was wrong (the 500hp d series without sleeves or rods etc).

edit: It's good that you posted the link. But why even quote a sentence from that article when the author immediately disclaims it in the next? I am not criticizing you. I just don't understand your logic of assuming someone will read something, and your logic of choosing a horrible sentence from that article to post in here.

Another big E: If you were going to quote something from this article which relates to what he is asking, why not quote the bullet that has actual information (such as the one I quoted).

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 08-13-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM

lol. point taken Pat. i guess i should quit assuming it would be read completely (or at all, for that matter. lol). but it never said anywhere in the article that it was a stock block d series without aftermarket rods that made the 500 hp. i took it as a reference from another engine just to show what the pistons are capable of handling in extreme conditions on probly a race engine, etc...

Old 08-13-2009, 04:50 PM

From the original quote you posted (......that the vitaras drop the compression down to 8.5:1 depending on a otherwise stock engine and can handle 500 horsepower), all I saw was the "on a otherwise stock engine" part. Reading through it again, the sentence was poorly constructed and I do see where you might have been coming from. Some members don't even read the OP of threads, or posts stating that the issue or question has been resolved, and just go on and post anyways...

I'm glad we could have a little argument over this. hehe

Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 AM
HCF Member

ok thanks i kinda already knew that the connection rods had to b changed in order for the engine to withstand more power ... but u guys where saying that to put vitaras u have to do bore the block? i thought the pistons drop right in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vitara Pistons