Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Vtec sounds funny, what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:40 PM
HCF Member
Arrow Vtec sounds funny, what could it be?

when i hit 5k my b16a hits vtec but it doesnt sound like it does on youtube that deep distinctive sound, it sounds more like a fart muffler can, is that normal? does the computer just make it sound good, or do i have a problem maybe a problem with the head or headgasket? idk can you guys tell me some things i can check for that can make it sound normal again?

Old 12-08-2011, 05:54 AM

Jesus Christ. If it engages, it works. That's that. Check your oil level. How can a computer make it sound differently?!?

I can only wonder what the next thread is going to be about. :/

Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 AM
HCF Member

i have all these questions because nothin on google says S*** i have plenty of oil but it sounds like a fart can, and not the deep vtec sound

Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM

I never said anything about google on this, did I?

If you have enough oil, and vtec is engaging, maybe you can change up the exhaust, or intake set-up for it to sound differently? The vtec solenoid is basically like an oil pump, so there isn't much you can do with the actual vtec solenoid to change the sound. The computer really has nothing to do with the sound either as I mentioned earlier.

The "sound" you hear on videos can vary due to a bunch of different things. Location (inside or outside), quality of camera/sound recording device, modifications done to the vehicle, etc the list goes on.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:26 PM
HCF Member

yeah thanks for clearing that up, i just looked at a jdm b16a vtec crossover(it was all stock) and its loud and sounds like a normal vtec, but idk why mine sounds more farty like a can sorta, i have plenty of oil and i have a short ram intake, could the sound be different maybe a blown head gasket could be the problem? or maybe its because my intake is a 2 piece and has the couplers? idk i have a K&N filter AND its always sucking in air, mine is a 1st gen b16a every video i look at they all sound like a 2000sir b16a2 that real deep sound, why isnt mine like that, im worried something could be wrong and im the only one with this problem

Last edited by theRDRman; 12-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
HCF Member

it sounded different when the header pipe was leaking so it was louder and im runnin 89 octane, the guy before me ran 91 so could that play a factor? or is it from my new cam seal and valve cover gasket not bein fully broken in?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Super Cereal Admin

VTEC is just a more aggressive cam profile; nothing more, nothing less. A blown head gasket would more than likely cause an overheating issue and that's about it.

Let me ask you this... what exhaust setup is on your car?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM
HCF Member

i have a megan 4.2.1 header to stock pipe to the vibrant axelback, but will better gas and gaskets that are worn it make it louder? cus it definetly pulls pree good in vtec i have only 60km on the new cam seal and valve cover gasket, could that play a role? the only thing is is on my downpipe to my stock exhaust pipe by the donut ring, i dont have a gasket in it i dont think

Last edited by theRDRman; 12-08-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Gas will not change the sound, performance, fuel economy, or anything with the engine unless the ECU has been tuned for that gas, in which case the ignition will be advanced more with higher octane fuel. That's it.

Your valve cover gasket and cam seals hold the oil in (technically on) the head; they will not change the sound of the engine at all. The worst thing that they can possibly do in any scenario is leak some oil.

Given that you've said it sounds like a fart can (which sounds like no muffler at all, which also sounds like a large exhaust leak), and you've said you don't think you have a donut gasket on the header, that's probably the first place I'd look if I were you. I don't think vtec has anything to do with this problem.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
HCF Member

i do heave the donut on my down pipe connecting to the stock pipe, but do u think it sounds different because i have a catylatic converter? i know alot of people dont run those?

Quick Reply: Vtec sounds funny, what could it be?