Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

What to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Default What to do next?

Ok, i would really like some input on what might be the next thing i should to get some extra horses outta my car. I've been rebuilding it (check out "Your opinions please" in the new member forum) and already have a K&N FIPK Gen 2 intake and an A'Pexi V-AFC II. I know the next step is to get some headers and a cat-back, but after that i'm not really sure where to go next. This is my first car that i've actually really put some work into and was wondering if some of the more experienced tuners would be able to point me in the right direction on where to look next for some increased power. It's a 99 Civic SI with a B16A.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Default RE: What to do next?

do want to boost, or stay n/a?

Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 PM

B16A = not the best engine to boost.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:44 PM

I'm lookin for boost eventually, but i wanna make the motor stonger for now. I wanna go super rather than turbo because it effects the whole power curve. I know i'll sacrifice high end with the super, but thats my mind set right now unless anyone else can convince me to opt for the turbo instead. I also hear that when you run boost on a B16A it's a good idea to get some piston sleeves to reinforce the pistons because the open block design of it makes the engine kinda weak when puttin a crap load of air and fuel into it. I know the next logical step to beefin up the engine without boost is to switch out the cams for some higher performance ones, but then you gotta take into consideration valve springs, retainers, piston-to-valve clearance and a whole lot of other stuff that gets pretty hairy when you get to the inner workings of the motor. I know the basic concepts behind it, but i'm a little hesitant to tear apart my block and start rippin out its guts. Either that or bore it or get a stroker kit, but i'm lookin to make my 1.6Ls the most efficient they can be. I guess what i'm lookin for is anything else that will free up some HP that i'm over looking before i start to dismantle my whole engine.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:31 PM

I also hear that when you run boost on a B16A it's a good idea to get some piston sleeves to reinforce the pistons because the open block design of it makes the engine kinda weak when puttin a crap load of air and fuel into it.
Well, the best thing you can do to help with the boost is lower the CR... The way it is, you won't be able to run hardly any boost.

And as for the supercharger, I've already spent so much time telling people why NOT to get superchargers that I don't think I want to do it again unless there is actually a chance that you'll change your mind.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:50 AM

what the problem with a turbo b16? if you lower the compression, wont it be fine?

Old 01-28-2005, 01:41 PM

Yeah, it will (I think I said that in my last post... sort of). Sorry if it didn't come across right.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:56 AM
HCF Member

it would be a dog off the line though. a turbo car runs just like the same NA car until boost starts climbing. so in a built b16 with 8.5:1 compression, you have what is basically an outdated 1.6l 8.5 CR motor. it will accelerate as such. imagine a b16 without its high compression. it would suck. youd be better off supercharging a b16 if its just a kickaround car with occasional runs at the track. a turbo is better, but if you just want it to be a lot faster all at once, get the JRSC and leave it alone.