Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

ZC motor in a 4 gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Default ZC motor in a 4 gen

I was looking to get a fourth generation civic and if I couldn't find an SI version I wanted to do a motor swap. I was reading around a I saw that ZC and D16Z6 motors easily swapped into a 4th gen chassis. I couldn't find a D16s for sale on the web but I found plenty of ZC motors. Are ZC motors worth swapping are parts easily available in case it breaks down. Also are there any performance mods for sale that will fit the motor.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Default RE: ZC motor in a 4 gen

ZC motor swap is definitely worth it for the money. You can pick up an imported engine for under $600. They bolt right into 4G Civics (same mounts), and they use the same transmissions (you probably want to get an Si or at least a DX tranny for better gear ratios). Also, you will want to find an ECU from an 88 or 89 Integra 5-Speed (don't use the stock ECU). There are a few electrical modifications that need to be done, but they are very simple. If you end up getting a 4G Civic with DPFI, there are some slightly more complicated steps involved in converting it to MPFI. As for parts, there are a lot of sites out there with parts lists for ZC motors. Basically, they just use a lot of parts from a bunch of different Honda engines. I have a list somewhere, but I'm not sure where it is. I've done a couple ZC swaps, both for me and for a friend, and they are very simple. As for aftermarket performance, most performance parts for D16's will fit right onto the ZC, so that is definitely not a problem.

If you have a lot of money to spend, and you want a bigger performance boost, the B18C5 is about as good as it gets, but be warned: they are quite pricey. If you want an inexpensive engine that is still very buildable, the ZC is for you.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:43 PM

If you find that list with the parts sites on them could you give them to me I would appreciate it.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:13 PM

What kind of fuel injection systems do 4th gen civics beside the SI use. I read an article in Sport Compact Car where they swapped a D15 for a B18 and they had to switch from multi port to direct port. Would I need to do the same thing if I switched to the ZC. Is the wiring complex? And what wiring would I have to do to make the switch.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:21 PM

Could I use the stock drive shafts with the ZC engine and transmission or would I need to Change them.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:01 AM

What kind of fuel injection systems do 4th gen civics beside the SI use. I read an article in Sport Compact Car where they swapped a D15 for a B18 and they had to switch from multi port to direct port. Would I need to do the same thing if I switched to the ZC. Is the wiring complex? And what wiring would I have to do to make the switch.
In loose terms, Honda MPFI is direct port. The only other type of injection system on 4Gs is DPFI (dual point fuel injection). This is where there are two aerator type injectors mounted in a vertical throttle body, and the fuel-air mixture is generated in the throttle body and sucked into the cylinders. Direct port is usually reserved for after-market manifold setups. Basically, in order to convert to MPFI, you have to add some pins to the ECU harness for the other two cylinders and a couple sensors, reverse two wires on one of the distributor plugs, and swap the ECU with an 88-89 Teg 5-Speed one (PG7). I can give you directions if you want. It's pretty simple stuff.

Could I use the stock drive shafts with the ZC engine and transmission or would I need to Change them.
The ZC can use ANY stock 4G Civic tranny (you can just leave the tranny, clutch, and axles in there). Ideally, you want an Si tranny for its closer gear ratio. I like the DX tranny, since it actually has a 5th gear for freeway cruising.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:42 AM

Does the ZC have multi port injection or does it have throttle body injection.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:53 PM

ZC's have multi-port.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:53 AM

will the fly wheel from the ZC mate to a 4th gen tranny.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:12 PM

yes, it will, provided it's from an Si or DX