Exterior DIYs Lip kits, wheels, fogs, other appearance items.

Door Handle Replacement/Keyless Entry (06-10 Civic Sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Default Door Handle Replacement/Keyless Entry (06-10 Civic Sedan)

Please read this entire document before you take on this project. In writing this DIY, I'm assuming you have worked on at least one previous car.
This install takes roughly 30 minutes to an hour based on your experience and knowledge of general automotive work. Not only is this knowledge essential, so are the right tools. Things you'll need for this project are as follows.

~Driver's side front or rear door handle (part numbers differ)
~Small flathead screwdriver
~Regular-sized Phillips head screwdriver (or a drill with the proper bit)
~Shop light or flashlight
~Panel removing tool (pictured below)

Name:  DSC_0086.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  147.4 KB

*Turn off your dome light(s) as this install will require your door to be open for some time.

Step 1: Remove the small cover behind the interior door handle with the small flathead screwdriver. There is a Phillips head screw and a plastic screw behind the cover that need to be removed.
Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  39.3 KB

Step 2: Use the panel remover to pry the instrument panel up. Lift from the back as shown. Then pull toward the back of the car to release the last tab.
Name:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  62.5 KB

Here's a decent shot of the instrument panel and the small cover behind the door handle removed.
Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  76.0 KB

Step 3: Unplug the connections and place the panel to the side.
Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  67.0 KB

Step 4: Remove this screw that was behind the instrument panel.

Step 5: Gently (or aggressively, depending on your doors) pry the door panels off. Use the panel remover to get started.
Name:  DSC_0021.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  89.2 KB

Note the location of the tabs. They are orange in this picture.
Name:  DSC_0023.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  88.5 KB

And they are white in this shot.
Name:  DSC_0024.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  73.9 KB

Watch out for the goop. It is super sticky, super messy, and a super pain in my ***.
Name:  DSC_0022.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  80.1 KB

Steps 1-5 for the coupe and Si can be found here (refer to steps 1-11):
http://www.lfranklin.org/DIY/front_speaker_install.html (Thanks to brolewis)
(1/30/10 link is dead)

Step 6: From inside the door, pull the plastic clip from the metal actuator. Remove the actuator from the door handle. This does take some work. Don't be too afraid to pull hard.
Name:  DSC_0044.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  51.5 KB

Step 7: Once the actuator is free from the handle, there are two screws you must remove using the Phillips head screwdriver. They are hard to see, and thus, I have no pictures.
Step 8: From the outside, pull the door handle (gently) as you would normally to open the door. It should come free.

Step 9: Pull at an angle. Pull the handle upwards, and watch for the metal lever from inside the car. Carefully pull it free from the door. Use both hands to do this.
Name:  DSC_0032.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  59.0 KB

Step 10: Bring the front of the handle perpendicular to the door and gently pull free.
Name:  DSC_0031.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  47.9 KB

This is what your door should look like.
Name:  DSC_0033.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  61.8 KB

For a simple replacement, stop here and reverse the order of the steps. Replace your damaged handle and have a good day. If your intentions are to remove the keyhole from the front door, please continue.

For the rest of this install, I used a handle I ordered online for the back door. The part fits exactly the same; it just doesn't have a hole for the key.

Step 11: Since I kept the lock in place, you need to Dremel a small section of the new handle.
Name:  DSC_0036.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  100.7 KB

Be sure to remove enough, or you'll have to repeat step 11. I obviously had to repeat.
Name:  DSC_0038.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  52.5 KB

Worry not. Just a bit more Dremelling and you're set. Replace the handle, the screws, and the actuator, replace your door panel, etc.

And here's your finished driver's door handle, minus keyhole.
Name:  DSC_0040.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  72.8 KB

FAQs
Q: What happens when the battery in my key dies, I'm miles away from home, and I have no keyhole?
A: I thought about this for a while. I figured I'd just put the extra key in the trunk. That way I can use my everyday key to unlock the trunk, then grab the extra key and use it. Then I realized that if anyone breaks into my trunk for any reason, they'll have access to my entire car. I can't have that.

Instead, I got a CR1616 watch battery. You can pick this up at anyplace that starts with "Wal" or ends in "Mart." I also found some small screwdrivers lying around my basement. I took the battery and the screwdrivers and put them in the tray that sits on my spare tire. Now, when the battery dies, I unlock the trunk, replace the battery, and I'm on my way.
Name:  DSC_0113.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  79.6 KB

Q: Isn't this just a waste of time, money, energy, etc?
A: Eh, I don't care. I had fun doing it. I think it makes the car look cool. I work three jobs so I can have fun like this, and no one else has done it yet. I'm a pioneer.

If you don't like it, don't do it. If you do like it, you have $25 lying around and about half an hour to waste, get to it!

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 01-30-2010 at 11:29 AM.