General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

05 civic advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Default 05 civic advice

Hi Guys,

i'm new to the Japanese car tuning world and just recently got my first Honda Civic Ex 2dr manual ..
i need advice... I would like to tune few things on the car to get some more power out as well as better sound from the exhaust.
Let me know .. I am open for suggestions and if anyone know a great tuning shop in LA area please let me know as well.

Thank you!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

well, the typical things to start with are to get your car breathing better, so a cold air intake so that it can inhale better, and a header back exhaust so that it can exhale better, now that your car is breathing better make sure its ignition is up to par, aftermarket coil/packs/wires/plugs. somewhere in the middle i would install underdrive pulleys, then i would move into the fuel delivery, performance fuel injectors/ fuel pump, high flow fuel filter. maybe somewhere in there you could go with a performance intake manifold... and after that fun your car should be doing as good as it can without getting too involved

Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The D17 engine really doesn't develop more power no matter what you do; it's really best to trade the whole car if you're interested in actually going faster. But you could of course put an intake and / or catback on to change the sound.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 AM

thanks for heads up HUGECOW... i appreciate it.
mk378... i have 2 other cars that i can go plenty fast in them and get into a lot of trouble ...and not looking to build this car to be my rocket... would love to get better handling and a little better sound out of the car .. so like Huge said... start with intake and headers... and injectors...
my main question is ... who in honda world makes the best after market...
i know like in for both of my cars we have just gone to RUF or 9ff.... let me know please.

thank you

Last edited by henry959; 03-31-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM
HCF Member

Spoon

Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 PM
HCF Member

also, comptech and mugen

Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

You DO NOT need bigger injectors. And installing them would require you to have your ECU chipped and tuned for them. You would need them if you were going with some type of forced induction, or a high hp natural aspirated engine (More than just bolt on's..)

Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by henry959
who in honda world makes the best after market...
The best aftermarket.....what?

Originally Posted by HugeCow Inc
Spoon
Originally Posted by HugeCow Inc
also, comptech and mugen
If you're a baller, rolling in dough....but yeah.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 AM

It's all a matter of opinion. There are Spoon, Mugen, Comptech... yeah, those are good names, proven performance, but pricey. If you need a basic intake, we have found that just using a generic "ebay" copy intake with a name brand filter like K&N, for example, works just fine. And "ebay" brand headers, like Megan Racing, perform just fine compared to more expensive exhaust parts. But brands like Apex-i, Greddy, and DC Sports make really good stuff for Hondas. (I think DC went under though...)

Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 AM

thanks for all the info... honestly i test drove few cars that has Mugen and Spoon parts on them and wasnt that impressed for what you pay for and what you really get. Yes the design and the history is wonderful but the cost vs power you get is about the same.
on top of all they have a 4 to 5 week lead time before you get anything in your hands. so i figured just go with AEM and figure out which headers to get and hopefully my buddy from TUBI can make me a nice exhaust and if not then ill see if Greddy will work...
but thank you very much for the input and giving some direction.

Quick Reply: 05 civic advice