General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

06 and 07 Civic Si Owners

Old 08-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Default RE: 06 and 07 Civic Si Owners

Hi all.....I am brand new to this forum but just like to share a few things. Recently purchased an 07 si, silver, and it is a SOLID car!!!! About VTEC.....I see a lot of people keep saying VTEC "kicks in" at 6000 rpms. It doesn't kick in here. VTEC is always working across the whole RPM range. What you feel "kicking in" is the bigger cam.....hence DOHC. Bigger cam=bigger valve lift=more power. I say that Honda did pretty good in accomplishing good power in a n/a 4 cylinder while still maintaining good economy. Sure, they could have increased the torque, but bye bye gas mileage. The nice thing about this K20Z3 engine is its 200hp roots. Most other cars in the civics class with similar 4 cylinderpower, accomplish this with turbos or superchargers. Also, considering a modest 50 shot of spray on mine......warranty voided though. Anyways, happy motoring!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

i have an 07 si coupe..i love it. the only things i don't like about it are the a pillars, and the locks. the a pillars are huge and block a decent amount of area..not too bad, but on some corners it is annoying cause i've had to actually lean one way or the other to make sure there was nobody coming. (car or pedestrian)

the locks are weird...not sure if it is the same on all of them, or if just mine has a problem. if i turn the car off and take the key out of the ignition, my door unlocks but the passenger door doesn't. if the passenger unlocks their door before i get my key out of the ignition..my door doesn't automatically unlock.

other than that, it is a great car. i love the mp3 capable cd player! though if you wanted to get an aftermarket head unit...good luck! the panel is huge and curved..so companies will have to be clever to get something that works in there.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: silver07si

Hi all.....I am brand new to this forum but just like to share a few things. Recently purchased an 07 si, silver, and it is a SOLID car!!!! About VTEC.....I see a lot of people keep saying VTEC "kicks in" at 6000 rpms. It doesn't kick in here. VTEC is always working across the whole RPM range. What you feel "kicking in" is the bigger cam.....hence DOHC. Bigger cam=bigger valve lift=more power.
??? vtec doesn't kick in at 6000 rpms, and it doesn't "work" it's way across the entire powerband. the cam profile in the 07 civic is no where near what you can consider 'big'. if you know how vtec actually works, you'd see that it kicks in and uses an extra cam lobe with another rocker. it has nothing to do with being dohc. and dohc doesn't mean bigger valve, it means a seperate valve timing and profiles for the intake and exhaust cams. dohc simply means 2 overhead cams.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 PM

ej6........yes......actually if you knew about VTEC.....which is "variable".... it means it varies with the rpm . Now with that said......I know DOHC means overhead...i.e. OH. VTEC still doesn not "kick in" like everyone keeps saying...it is always there. This is why you get decent gas mileage with 197 horse. VTEC works its magic while varying valve timing and lift with different rpms.You need to also quote me right ej6. I simply stated that with valves with more lift equal more power. I also did not state that this is a big cam....simply being relative....also a statement. The bigger cam profile that it uses at 6000 rpm will....yes......increase valve lift and hence...wow....more power!!! USING VTEC....even at 2000 rpms!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 PM

This car is so well engineered with the TOP quality engine, trans, clutch, etc. If you don't like it go buy A POS Saturn. I owned 2 Saturns and they were nice. BUT the 07 Civic Si is the most fun I HAVE EVER had in a car. If you know how to shift and drive,,, this car can SMOKE ALOT of faster cars. PERIOD. I have had 15 diff cars and trucks and this little 200hp rev machine is a TOTAL GAS to drive. Sure it isn't as fast as my 07 Acura TL Type-S, but its much MORE FUN. IMHO...

Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 PM

I agree JD......sure you can buy a new dodge charger like everyone else.....but people need to understand this is "cheap" power. Power that only works when the car can be driven. Thisis a conceptthat American brands don't understand. People like power.....but reliability and quality still sell better!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

The new Si is nice but give me a break... its still an Econobox.

This car is so well engineered with the TOP quality engine, trans, clutch, etc. If you don't like it go buy A POS Saturn.
.. that made me laugh, anything is a step up in "fun" when coming from a Saturn. My grandma has a Saturn. TOP in bold, haha.

And whats with the American Car bashing? What have they done to any of you other than hand you your *** daily, haha... Ooh. KIDDING, no hate mail please

Old 08-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Econo box???? What American car hands me my *** everyday....because I certainly don't know??

Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Your a mustang owner......sorry nuf said. One question....do you have a personlized license plate also lol!! Mustang guys make me laugh.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 PM

I consider a corolla an econo box...not an si bro

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 and 07 Civic Si Owners