General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
HCF Member
Default 07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?

I have a 2007 Civic Coupe, manual transmission. I've been keeping track of the gas mileage since the day I bought it, at the beginning of June. On average I'm only getting 22.8 mpg, which is way off from the 30 mpg advertised. I live in Arizona so I have to run thea/c all the time, so I thought maybe thats the problem.Although, thea/c taking 7 mpg away seems a bit excessive to me. I got my windows tinted thinking that might help, but it hasn't. I also thought that maybe the way I drive was the problem, even though I drive pretty conservatively. After looking through the manual, I don'tthink this is an issue either.My shift points are almost exactly where Honda suggests you shift in the manual (I don't shift at those points because the manual, it just sohappens that I shift at the same points on my own). Maybe I'm just looking for problems because up until this point, I haven't been very impressed with this car. I love Hondas, always have. This is the 3rd Civic I've owned. This has also given me more problems than all the other cars I've ever owned combined. It has been in the service department 6 times and will be going in for the 7th time on Monday and it only has 1400 miles on it I hate to say it but I'm seriously considering trading this in for a Scion.

So, if you guys could tell me what type of gas mileage you are getting, I would really appreciate it.

Year: 2007
Trans: Manual
OctaneYou Use Normally: 89 octane (Although I have tried 87 and am going to try 91 to see if there is a difference)
City, Highway, 50/50: City
Driving Style: Conservative
A/C Usage: All the time
Where Are You: Arizona

Old 08-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Default RE: 07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?

therea fewof these topic so i hope these 2 can help
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_317747/tm.htm

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_451454/tm.htm

Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

Thanks. That helped some.

I guess I should have used the search button first. Being a moderator on other forums I should have known better. I guess my frustrations with this car got the better of me. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Year: 2007
Trans: Automatic
OctaneYou Use Normally: 89 octane
City, Highway, 50/50: City 28 Highway (40)
Driving Style: Conservative
A/C Usage: Most of the time its low, except for Afternoons when I blast it. But No, its not constantly always on.
Where Are You: Florida

Well when I first got mine I was worried about this so I kept track of it and I still do. I do drive about the normal speeds most of the time unless I gotta fill up then I just speed up a little bit and have some fun since I'm on my way to the gas station. I go on the highway about once a week just to head to my dads house other then that all my mileage is done in the city. I get about 310 miles on a full tank and that is usually anywhere between 11 - 14 days. I love the way my Honda has treated me way better then my previous one.

I just think its you constanly having to use the A/C alot under such extreme heat in Arizona at times. I really wouldnt stress too much unless it really starts to get to you and it becomes a big problem. Though that doesnt sound good that ur car has 1,400 miles and its been in the shop way too often. Deffinately something to continue to monitor and make your decision on what you want to do. You made a good choice by getting the Civic though lol. I would never turn back.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 AM

In my Si if I drive it hard on the highway I have gotten about 24 mpg, but driving down to the shore with the cruise set at 65mph in 6th gear I calculated 34.7 mpg. This is not exact because I didn't run the tank dry but it is still better than the suggested milage of 32 mpg highway.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

I picked up a Comsumers Report today and they had their test of the 2007 Civic EX Coupe, Manual Transmission. They did say they would suggest the car, it was a "Consumers' Pick", but they had gas mileage similar to mine. We will see as time goes on if the gas mileage gets better.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

I got a brand new civic 07 2 months ago. Milage was below 30 at 1st but Im at around 2500 now and Im getting around 32mpg I drive 16 miles to my work with a mix of highway and city driving. In the city I shift at around 2500-3000 cause were going slow but on the highway I gun it on the ramp usually shifting at around 5000rpm. Ac is on all the time but probably not on as high as you have it cause I live in Washington. I think your car just needs to break in.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:02 PM
HCF Member

Now that the weather has warmed up, I am averaging 36-37 MPGwith about 50% being city driving. As I have mentioned in previous posts, drive like you had no brakes and coast every chance you get. I rarely touch my brakes at a faster speed than 25 MPH. Plan ahead. I usually shift up at about 1700 RPM unless I am in heavy traffic. I almost always have the AC on, but not necessarily turned to the coolest position. The mileage range in the last ten tankfulls is 39.3 MPG for a highand 34.3 MPG for a low. I get between 380 and 420 miles per tank.

If I did not pretend to be Marcos Ambrose on occasion, I probably would be doing even better. I like to bomb down the local back roads late at night.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:47 PM

So far, my '07 LX Auto is averaging about 42.8 mpg. But...that is 90% or more highway driving at speeds between 55 and 65. I'm using some hypermiling techniques like mentioned above, but nothing too radical.

I've been logging the mileage on CleanMPG.com web site here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG(US)&viewuse r=macword

My driving situation is unique in that I live in a rural setting with few stops. But its fun to see what the Civic is capable of if pressed into service.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 AM

Hi, I'm glad to see that other people are having this issue. I have a 2007 EX with navi. It's only got 6200 miles on it, and so far I am consistently getting 26 mpg with about 75/25% city/hwy driving. I called the local dealer, and they told me that 10-15,000 miles was an appropriate break in period. This seems like a long time to me. I've checked my tire pressure, and there are rarely more than 200 lbs in my car. I've had to use the AC pretty constantly because it's been over 90 degrees most of the 6 weeks I've had the car. I'm hoping that driving it a little more and the weather turning cooler will improve my fuel economy--I am definitely disappointed so far.

Quick Reply: 07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?