General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Default RE: 07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?

i don't get it.

my data:
Year: 2007
Trans: Manual
OctaneYou Use Normally: 87 octane
City, Highway, 50/50: City
Driving Style:leadfooted. (i shift a 4k normally, 5k when i need to merge into traffic.)
A/C Usage: full blast
Where Are You: maryland

my engine still has less than 1k miles on it, and i get 29.9 mpg.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 AM

I have 2007 Civic Ex 4dr auto. I comute about 50 miles/day to work. Most of the drive is 4 lane/ 55mph limit. My average runs 34/35mpg. On a trip to Maine this summer, most of it interstate 70/75 mph, my average ran 40/41mpg. I have over 25,000 miles on the car and have been very pleased with performance and economy.

Greg

Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: shunut

I have a 2007 Civic Coupe, manual transmission. I've been keeping track of the gas mileage since the day I bought it, at the beginning of June. On average I'm only getting 22.8 mpg, which is way off from the 30 mpg advertised....
That is shocking. My 1995 Civic CX (1.5L) is still between 30 and 40 mpg.
Seems it has changed a great deal since.
There is a lot of controversy about EPA and real world numbers. The tests used to create EPA numbers were supposed to be revised recently to better reflect real world.

In any case dump it. No reason to accept such abysmal performance from a modern car.

P.S.: Or could be something really wrong with your car, like a defective O2 sensor. I would question the dealer and demand free repairs.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:27 AM

Gene,

Most of the tips you posted are the machine's job!!!! The car can do all these things automtically and there is no need for the driver to worry about it. So get the hybrid version and let it worry about optimal RPM, recovering energy from breaking, etc.

In fact, hybrid is superior and gets better efficiency even than you:

Hybrid Civic

Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

bob_ninja: If I had a hybrid I would let it do the work. Unfortunately I have a non-hybrid andI am doing my best to get the most gas mileage out of it I can. I believe shunut would get similar bad mileage no matter what he is driving. The problem is not his Honda. Of course, the "hybrid is superior and gets better efficiency even than" me. I don't remember saying I could do better than a hybrid. Use the search feature and get caught up, there are several other threads here on this subject.

Filled up again today. I went 424 miles on 11.212 gallons for 37.8 MPG.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:15 PM

seriously what the heck . how can one car be getting such **** poor mileage. i have an 06 ex and have never gotten below 32 mpg. and i drive speed limit. no matter where i am driving my gas light never comes on until at least 360 miles on the tank.. I would check your calculations or something because i use ac all the time.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:12 AM

Hmmmm, tried the whole not going above 2 on the rpms and still am getting around 26. Tried it twice, once with 87 and once with 89 and both times came in at 26. Staying under 2 is not that easy. For instance, when the light changes to green and you are building up speed without going above 2 you hold up the people behind you. Also, trying to get onto the highway is downright dangerous because it takes a looooong time to go from 0-60 at under 2. Even still, I was pretty disappointed because I was really expecting better mpgs. Anyway, I'm back to driving like normal as I couldn't glean the benefits from the under 2 rpm technique. I will say that going my route I had difficulty in braking at anything under 25mph. There is a long stretch of lights and by the time I would get up to speed it would be time to brake. The alternative would be to severely go under the speed limit but that sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Anyway, 26 isn't horrible, just a bummer when I was expecting 30+

Old 10-01-2007, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

dlisz1: As you are aware, you can not always stay below 2K on the upshift. It does help to do so when you can. You cannot be down to 25 MPH every time you brake either, but each time you can it does save gas. Another driving habit that wastes gasfor some is tailgating, which causes you to brake/accelerate more often. I don't know why your mileage is so poor, but if you keep working at it, your mileage will get better.

Since my last post here I have filled up twice more:
386 miles on 10.709 gallons for 36.0 MPG and
367 miles on 9.554 gallons for 38.5 MPG

I looked back in the logbook to last year at this time. The mileage at 3K miles seems about the sameas this year with 17K miles on my '06 LX manual.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:29 PM

i don't think he really ment for you to get in neutral for so long, i think he just ment not to accelerate, and hit the brakes, and accelerate... obviously that wouldn't help with saving gas. for me, i haven't really tried to see what my max MPGs would be because i just got an 07 EX. but i know that i waste gas by shifting after 3,000 a lot of times just to hear my new car. because think about it, a lot of us here are pretty excited about our new cars. anyways, i think he does have a point. if i wanted to save gas, i'd try to shift around 2,000 rpms. i'll be trying to see my best MPGs after my next fill-up

and if you're driving an automatic, maybe accelerating as slow as you can will be really good. i used to drive an automatic, and shifting isn't much of an option, but if you accelerate slower, you'll be able to find the speeds that your car shifts... and find a comfortable point where you can get the best mpgs while driving comfortably.

hope that helped a little. and if you're lookin for other people's ideas, it's probably best not to put other's ideas down just because it didn't work for you... especially if you don't really understand the concept.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 PM

Year: 2007 Si
Trans: Manual
OctaneYou Use Normally: 91 octane
City, Highway: 27/32
Driving Style: Average - shift at 3.5-4K
A/C Usage: Occasionally
Where Are You: New York

Quick Reply: 07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?