General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

15000 mile oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
HCF Member
Default 15000 mile oil?

Is this true? Mobil 1 advertises it on their highest synthetic but it seems too good to be true, any thoughts?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 15000 mile oil?

im not sure i have seen it avertised before also but im like you it almost seems that way. if its not i would wanna change my filter though

Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

Thats wrong. The motor needs new oil every 3000 miles on a honda. It should be changed regardless of what advertisements say. Are you willing to risk your motor over it? thats the real question. Because if it blows up or starts running ****ty, You can't blame them

Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM

My 2003 owners manual says to change the oil every 10,000 miles, and change the filter every 20,000 miles. I think the manfacturer knows what to reccomend. '03 EX.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 PM

I'm 65 years old and am a genuine "car guy,"...having owned over 145 different automobiles since I was a Sophomore in college. About 10 years ago, I spent almost all my spare time for well over a year reading all I could get my hands on about engine oil and oil change frequency. I came to the following conclusions:

1. The 3000 mile oil change interval is a myth perpetuated by the oil companies to get you to buy more oil. It is 1960's thinking...and they are counting on the fact that old practices die hard.

2. Synthetic blends offer longer protection than straight "dino" oil, and pure Synthetics offer the best protection of all.

3. There are synthetic oils on the market that will go well beyond even a 15,000 mile oil change interval. For example, Amsoil produces a synthetic oil that is designed for 25,000 mile change intervals. Interestingly enough, several years ago Amsoil ran a test on some of their long-distance synthetics, and used a tractor trailer as one of their test vehicles. The truck ran over 400,000 miles without an oil change, and when they tore the engine down, they found no significant wear. However, they did change oil filters at regular, specified intervals, and simply added oil that was lost when the filters were changed.

4. If you are going to use pure synthetic engine oil and plan on going beyond 5000 miles between oil changes, make sure you are also using an extended life filter. Mobil 1 makes one that is guaranteed for 15,000 miles. Amsoil makes one that is guaranteed for 25,000 miles.

I know that I will probably get flamed for this, for there are those who still swear by the traditional view that oil needs to be changed every 3000 miles (If it was good enough for my father, it's good enough for me syndrome). All I can say to them is; Be my guest. If you want to put more money in the oil companies bankroll, go to it!

Personally, I use Amsoil 5W30 pure synthetic and Amsoil extended life filters. I change both at 15,000 mile intervals. My 04 LX engine sounds as good as the day it left the showroom floor....burns absolutely no oil between changes, and delivers 41 mpg highway and 35 mpg city.

PS: When is the last time you saw anything on any of the Civic bulletin boards about an engine failing because someone didn't change oil at 3000 mile intervals? I regularly read at least 6 Civic forums and have never seen a post relating to oil change frequency and engine failure.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 PM
HCF Member

It will still run but what do you think your engine is going to look like when you pull the oil pan off and rip apart that motor? I am going to school for automotive technology and your oil gets dirty when its in the motor your oil filter gets cloaged full of gunk debree and other things like that. the oil relief valve inside of it is going to open up and shoot dirty oil through your motor. And for your its good enough for me bull**** that you are chanting. Why is it then that people that mechanics that i know who have been in the business a long time say it should be changed at 3000 miles? And why is it i can take apart motors at school and you can see all the muck and gunk that can come from it? You are running your oil to the point where its barely lubricating. What color is your oil when it comes out? Super black? If what you say is true then when you do your oil change it should come out clear just like it went in.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

o yea don't forget about your best friend called heat breakdown

Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

another note to that is older engines I believe need changes more often. Every time I drain my oil after even 3000 miles I see specs of metal. Imagine how many specs of metal shaveing's will be circulating through the engine after 15k miles. I would rather be safe than sorry you know. I would pay the extra money to know that sludge and metal bits aren't clogging up my engine.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

Old 02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 95civic1.6l

It will still run but what do you think your engine is going to look like when you pull the oil pan off and rip apart that motor? I am going to school for automotive technology and your oil gets dirty when its in the motor your oil filter gets cloaged full of gunk debree and other things like that. the oil relief valve inside of it is going to open up and shoot dirty oil through your motor. And for your its good enough for me bull**** that you are chanting. Why is it then that people that mechanics that i know who have been in the business a long time say it should be changed at 3000 miles? And why is it i can take apart motors at school and you can see all the muck and gunk that can come from it? You are running your oil to the point where its barely lubricating. What color is your oil when it comes out? Super black? If what you say is true then when you do your oil change it should come out clear just like it went in.
If 3k is what you need to be doing, then find me a service schedule for a honda that says to change the oil every 3k....

Quick Reply: 15000 mile oil?