General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

15000 mile oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Default RE: 15000 mile oil?

Mobil One, Pennzoil Platinum, and Amsoil in the correct grade will all get you comfortable oil change intervals of 10,000 or greater. Must use a quality filter, and the type of driving you do is to be considered.

My '08 Civic has an oil life monitor (OLM) and becasue I do mostly highway driving, it tells me to change the oil about every 9000 JUST WITH REGULAR OIL. I can easily do 15,000 to 18,000 highway miles with a quality synthetic oiland quality filter.

3000 miles is basically a myth perpetuated by the industry to make more money. No real benenfit to such frequent changes unless you do all short trips, stop and go driving, in severe conditions.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: Mike75x5
3000 miles is basically a myth perpetuated by the industry to make more money. No real benenfit to such frequent changes unless you do all short trips, stop and go driving, in severe conditions.
qft!

I change my castrol syntec at 5k just to be on the safe side

Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 95civic1.6l

Thats wrong. The motor needs new oil every 3000 miles on a honda. It should be changed regardless of what advertisements say. Are you willing to risk your motor over it? thats the real question. Because if it blows up or starts running ****ty, You can't blame them
synthetic can be changed way after 3k. So if they say 15k on synthetic it could easily be true and safe to do so. Just make sure you check your filters every 3k or so.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike75x5

Mobil One, Pennzoil Platinum, and Amsoil in the correct grade will all get you comfortable oil change intervals of 10,000 or greater. Must use a quality filter, and the type of driving you do is to be considered.

My '08 Civic has an oil life monitor (OLM) and becasue I do mostly highway driving, it tells me to change the oil about every 9000 JUST WITH REGULAR OIL. I can easily do 15,000 to 18,000 highway miles with a quality synthetic oiland quality filter.

If you read the manual on your car,OLM will tell you how many times your motor had turned over. Thats how it figures out when you need an oil change. Theres no sensor or anything to actually tell if your oil is good. Personally I use synthetic AND I change it every 3500 miles (the manual says I can go to 3750). I drive the car hard so I'd rather be safe than sorry. But as long as the oil is clean when it comes out is all that matters. Why would you want to wait until it looks like tar before you get it out of there?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

My used HX came dino oil and it's got 3700 miles and still looks good / I'll run it to 5000 miles, then I'll do a Synthetic Oil change. Will use Synthetic for 8000 to 12,000 miles. Next change willbe 2 qts Syntec, 1 qt Royal Purple, and 16 oz Hyperlube.

Synthetic changes at 3500 is just wasting oil!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
HCF Member

I believe newer cars wont need changeing as often, but for cars over 75k it's a whole nother story. I guess it's easy for guys that never see their own engine oil to say 'I go for 15k miles and it's fine'. But if you saw thesludge and metal bits, I'm sure as hell you would change your idea.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

does it say on there that they guarentee it on an older car that has lots of mileage? Your car is older and there for isn't in the condition that it once was. 15000 miles on motor oil in a car that old. o and hes some nice emails that i would like to post up from Delaware don trashing me.

"I'm sending this to you privately, because I don't want to start another oil change war on the Civic forum. In short....you may be going to auto tech school, but you don't know what you're talking about. For one, oil color has nothing to do with anything. Secondly, I did mention about changing the filter at specified intervals, so your ramblings about bypass valves, etc. are meaningless. Thirdly, you need to get out of the 1960s way of thinking, do some HONEST reading and studying, read the research and catch up with the times. As for tearing down the engine...read again what I said about the Amsoil test. 400,000+ miles and hardly any noticeable wear. BS? I think you're the one who's spreading the BS. You may be receiving training as a tech, but I pity those who go to you for service!"

"Just a couple of other things for the record: As for tearing down engines and finding much and junk. Do you have any documentation with these engines about what kind of oil they used? How often the oil was changed? What the quality of the filters they used was? I bet not. Your jumping to conclusions based upon what you observed without any knowledge of how the engine was treated. As for heat breakdown....that's one good reason for going with full synthetics in the first place. I repeat....you are completely out of touch with the advances that have been made with respect to modern synthetic oils and extended life filters. But if you wish to blindly muck ahead and do what you have always done without current knowledge and a solid research base...be my guest. Ignorance can be bliss."

I do not appreciate emails about **** like this and i will be taking my email address off of here so people are out of luck if you need to get ahold of me

Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
HCF Member

That's f'd up that guys taking itway toopersonally 95civic1.6l. For that guy, take a chill pill it's engine oil for christ sakes!

you even said yourself that the truck that went that far on the 'original' oilhad it's filter changed aswell as haveing more oil added into it to compensate the oil in the filter being changed.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I use regular or dino oil. I try to replace the oil around 4000 miles sometimes I go past that for an oil change. I have close to 300,000 miles on my 97 Civic, it burns a little oil between changes somewhere around a half quart. It cost around 10 to 12 bucks to change my oil and 300,000 divided by 4000 miles equal 75 oil changes. So my total cost oil changes ranges from 750 to 900 dollars. I don't know how much synthetic oils cost, so I couldn't tell you how it would have cost me if I had used it for the last 10 years. But I would change the my oil around 7500 miles if I did.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

^^ how hard do you drive your car tho? Do you push the engine hard or baby it? You don't think maybe your car might of reached 300k miles because of the oil changes around 4000 miles that you did?

Quick Reply: 15000 mile oil?