General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

1998 A/C Condensor or Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Default 1998 A/C Condensor or Compressor?

I have searched this web site for information on how to determine which component of my A/C unit crashed today but I cant find it. I have obviously have no clue on how to determine which part died but everything seems to work except it doesnt blow cold air. When I was driving home I thought I lost a belt but that wasnt the case because it ran just fine and all checked out fine. When I got home for the first time in its life I had a small leak of what I would call clear like oil. My guess is its the compressor but I have no clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The A/C compressor is located directly below the power steering pump. Both have their own drive belt. The condenser is situated next to the radiator and has its own fan. Where precisely do you see a clear liquid leak? Post a photo for clarity.

When you push the A/C button, does it light up. If so, does the compressor clutch engage and does the condenser fan run?

Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM

the leak is below the compressor. The A/C button lights up. Im assuming the compressor clutch engages because when I turn the switch on the RPM on the engine slows. I will check the fan for sure. I was just thinking (maybe I shouldnt!) that when the compressor went out in my fridge at home I had a small leak of oil. The leak is right under the radiator towards the engine block.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, the compressor contains a special oil that may be leaking. Just make sure the leak is coming from the compressor. When the A/C button is pushed with the engine idling, check under the hood for whether the A/C compressor belt is turning the compressor pulley. It sounds like the compressor blew and needs to be replaced. Inspect the unit carefully. I suspect that if you were to check, the refrigerant pressure is nil due to a leaking compressor.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Yes, the compressor contains a special oil that may be leaking. Just make sure the leak is coming from the compressor. When the A/C button is pushed with the engine idling, check under the hood for whether the A/C compressor belt is turning the compressor pulley. It sounds like the compressor blew and needs to be replaced. Inspect the unit carefully. I suspect that if you were to check, the refrigerant pressure is nil due to a leaking compressor.
I had one completely BLOW the side off the compressor. It left a 4inch by 4 inch hole in it.