General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2006 Civic block-Honda will not repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Default 2006 Civic block-Honda will not repair

I own a 2006 Honda Civic that has a engine block crack. Honda will not take care of one of it's best customers! 4 Honda's in a row while growing up in a Ford family!

I have been driving this car for 2 years after buying this used (2nd owner).
I noticed a coolant smell and some on the ground...took it to dealer who said THE BLOCK IS CRACKED and they will not warranty it!

Absolutly nothing was wrong with this car! THEN THE BLOCK CRACKS!!!!!

I know other cars have had this same problem....

Here is the problem......when I purshased this car the front fender was being replaced along with the door skin and slight repair to the rear quarter with no damage to the frame or suspension parts..... Around $2000 worth of damage they estimated. They were selling this car after repairing and after negotiating a price (i knew it was a rebuilt title) I purchased it.

I did not know that warranties would be void....but this repair never included any engine damage...because it was never damaged!!!!

Honda is just trying to get out of paying for their mistakes

What is your opinion?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The only official warranty it ever had was 3 years 36,000 miles, which has long expired. As far as an unofficial favor to repair it out of warranty, I think they do more for original owners.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM

The fact that the warranty is expired, the car now has a rebuilt title (If I read that correctly), and that you are not the original owner of the car, I doubt anyone will be able to help.

I have been a Honda owner all my life. I am 25 and had an 89 Accord, 93 Civic, 98 Civic, and now a 99 Civic. Honda has no idea who I am though since I have never walked into the dealership to buy something.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

just google 2006 civic engine block crack, print them out the hundreds of pages of people that have had similar issues, but show it to the manager(ask for him of course) and find out if they can do something to help since this is an issue that SHOULD NEVER happen unless something else caused it.

In this case the block is defective from the beginning, eventually cracking, leading to coolant loss and overheating.

Apparently people are having cracked blocks as early as 45,000 miles.

show them this:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...d-cracked.html

after reading through this link, honda appeared to do extended warranties, still 50/50...

But if honda wasn't covering the defect, expect to spend $1000-$1500 in labor to get the block pulled(meaning head comes off, transmission separated from block, all new gaskets and might as well do timing bell) and replaced. This is taking it to a tuner shop, not the stealership.

complete updated blocks from honda run $1000(whatever shop does the install should be giving you the old block back, then you could part out the rods, pistons, and crank if you wanted)

Last edited by inthezoneac; 01-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:39 PM
HCF Member

I would also agree that you're out of luck. Original owner or not, it's out of warranty on the powertrain, so don't expect them to fix it.

Although you might be able to find examples of the same thing happening to others, unless you have the records to show exactly how that motor's been treated over it's lifetime (including the three years before you owned it), they're not even going to entertain a replacement. And I can't really blame them - how do you (or they) know that the motor wasn't driven without oil, or ran at 250* for years, etc.? Plus, it's a salvage vehicle - you're lucky an insurance company will agree to cover it, much less a vehicle manufacturer.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by mk378
The only official warranty it ever had was 3 years 36,000 miles, which has long expired. As far as an unofficial favor to repair it out of warranty, I think they do more for original owners.
They actually extended the warranty to 8 years unlimited miles after they found out that thousands of Civics were effected....they did not make this a recall because it would have cost them even more $$$$$.

The first bulletin sent out for the mechanic was to repair the crack with JB WELD !!!!

The issue is my dealership can see that my engine has the same problem as the other bagillion Civic engines!

Another point I can make is that all these engines leak in the same exact location......same exact spot as mine.....
The dealership....excuse me stealership (LOL) stated to me that it was a faulty block and will be covered 100% before they found out it had a rebuilt title.

Honda is just trying to get out of taking care of thier product....and their lack of quality in his case.

Last edited by RichD; 01-14-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

a rebuilt title has nothing to do with the engine. That's like saying broken wheels and control arms led to engine failure.

i would keep pushing honda to fix it for free, contact someone from corporate higher up than them if their manager doesn't help.

honda knows damn well this is a common issue, it's like selling someone a generic product with a quality name label, then they find out after a while it was cheap, but oh well...

Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM
HCF Member

Wow, i own a 08 Lx and i never heard of this.

Think i might be trading in my ride soon.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think it was only a problem on '06 models. Then they changed the design slightly so it won't crack.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 AM
HCF Member

06-08 models had this issue from what I've read.

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic block-Honda will not repair