General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

93 engine swap to 91ef

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 PM
HCF Member
Default 93 engine swap to 91ef

i got a 91 hatch back with a dpfi d15 i oready no how to do the mpfi conversion but my friend jr has a wreckd out 93 sedan with d16 mpfi n i wanna no if can use the d16 in my hatch with no problems after i do the mpfi conversion on my hatch it get back to me plz can i use the si 91 ecu i bought or do i hav to use the ecu from the 93 sedan thanxs

Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM

You can do it. You need to use the d16z6 ECU (P28). The engine mounts are the same so it should be a direct swap. If you want VTEC to work you're gonna have to get the D16Z6 engine wiring harness, or run a wire from the VTEC solenoid to pin A4 on the new ECU, and then splice the VTEC solenoid's oil pressure switch into the newly run VTEC wire. If you don't get the D16Z6 engine wiring harness you'll also have to get a OBD0-OBD1 distributor conversion harness and an OBD0-OBD1 ECU conversion harness. I recommend just getting the engine wiring harness because it will cost the same price as getting both conversion harnesses, and VTEC will be plug n' play.

Also, If you're swapping transmissions too and you have a manual you'll have to convert your car to work with the 93's hydraulic clutch. If you're not swapping transmissions don't worry about this. I would also change the clutch if you can and change the transmission fluid (use only genuine Honda fluid). If it's an automatic I have no idea how to do the swap without swapping transmissions too because I think the D16Z6 ECU probably can't run the 91's automatic. Hopefully it's a manual you are talking about.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
You can do it. You need to use the d16z6 ECU (P28). The engine mounts are the same so it should be a direct swap. If you want VTEC to work you're gonna have to get the D16Z6 engine wiring harness, or run a wire from the VTEC solenoid to pin A4 on the new ECU, and then splice the VTEC solenoid's oil pressure switch into the newly run VTEC wire. If you don't get the D16Z6 engine wiring harness you'll also have to get a OBD0-OBD1 distributor conversion harness and an OBD0-OBD1 ECU conversion harness. I recommend just getting the engine wiring harness because it will cost the same price as getting both conversion harnesses, and VTEC will be plug n' play.

Also, If you're swapping transmissions too and you have a manual you'll have to convert your car to work with the 93's hydraulic clutch. If you're not swapping transmissions don't worry about this. I would also change the clutch if you can and change the transmission fluid (use only genuine Honda fluid). If it's an automatic I have no idea how to do the swap without swapping transmissions too because I think the D16Z6 ECU probably can't run the 91's automatic. Hopefully it's a manual you are talking about.
you can also use the pm6 as done in my super shanty ef.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jpnolan
you can also use the pm6 as done in my super shanty ef.
alright
OP, if you use the PM6 you'll have to run the VTEC wire and get a OBD0-OBD1 distributor conversion harness, you just won't need the engine harness or an ECU conversion harness

Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
alright
OP, if you use the PM6 you'll have to run the VTEC wire and get a OBD0-OBD1 distributor conversion harness, you just won't need the engine harness or an ECU conversion harness
Thanks for fully describing it, I was hella lazy. Good team work haha

Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 AM
HCF Member

damn his ecu is automatic ....so i hav to grav one from the junk yard okay kool his wiring harnes should work soo ill grav that out'

nah didnt hav plans on swaping trans my trans is manual, so i can stick with my trans or hav to grav one at the junk yard to cuz lik my issue is will it bolt right on to the block

so far i graving the engine 1.6l + wiring harnes & ecu

Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ef9101
damn his ecu is automatic ....so i hav to grav one from the junk yard okay kool his wiring harnes should work soo ill grav that out'

nah didnt hav plans on swaping trans my trans is manual, so i can stick with my trans or hav to grav one at the junk yard to cuz lik my issue is will it bolt right on to the block

so far i graving the engine 1.6l + wiring harnes & ecu
yea if you swap a 92-95 manual transmission in it'll bolt right up, but you'll have to convert your car to hydraulic clutch configuration, like the 92-95 transmissions are.

if you get the wiring harness like you said, all you need for the swap is the wiring harness, engine, and ECU. Well, and the MPFI conversion, but you said you already know what to do for that.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

yea the mpfi i have down so ill jus bolt on my trans to the block so i dont have to do no conversions there n get the harness off the 93 civic n look for a ecu P28 at the wreck yard i have to check the one i took of a 91 si its at my work

thanxs alot tho man cuz im gettn the block for 100 bucks i wasnt sure if i could use it or not but damn im gettn a deal lol thanxs tho ttyl im sure ill have more questions when im actually doing the swap