General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

About to pickup an 01 Civic LX sedan, good choice?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Default About to pickup an 01 Civic LX sedan, good choice?

So I've been looking for something that is 4 door, good mpg's, and reliable but also cheap because I don't want to spend much. Results came to a Civic sedan since its reliable and gets great gas. I'd prefer an 8th generation sedan but I'm done with car payments for awhile. So I found a 2001 Civic LX automatic sedan with 77k miles on it for $5k. Clean body and clean inside, no problems, no dents. I just want a daily driver to and from work everyday, which is 25 miles roundtrip and I will probably get rid of my VW GTI VR6 soon because I'm done with VWs and it only gets 24 mpg's and I rather have a Honda or Toyota. I've been a longtime member of vwvortex.com but I'm getting out of there soon.

My question is, how well was this model made since it was the first year of the 7th generation? Should I look for an EX instead? What are the major problems that this LX model is prone to or that is common to an 01 civic? My friend has a 01 EX coupe and it hasn't given her any problems at all since she bought it brand new in 2000 so I'm hoping this will be the same.

My GTI (Silverstone Grey) for clicks:
Name:  3708377460_ca617fb53f.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  33.5 KB

dropped on coils with 20mm spacers in the rear and 10s in the front

Last edited by IceColdJones; 01-03-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

I cannot speak for the LX, but have experience in the EX. I have a few buddys I ride with in the summer that all have EX's. They have never really had problems. Only things I know of them having to replace is things they caused to fail by being young and dumb.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by PunisherInOKC
I cannot speak for the LX, but have experience in the EX. I have a few buddys I ride with in the summer that all have EX's. They have never really had problems. Only things I know of them having to replace is things they caused to fail by being young and dumb.
That's what I like to hear, someone told me that the auto trans on the 01-02 Civics were terrible but until someone tells me that they have had problems then I will believe otherwise.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 AM

any responses from anyone else?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 AM
HCF Member

Ive never driven or known anyone with a 7th gen, so i can only speak in generalities.

I would go for a 92-95 or 99-00, they are generally cheaper, they have independent wishbone suspension which is better than the macphearson system on later models, they look nicer(not as fat and heavy, better tails, sleeker looking body). It is also a little easier to find a bigger selection of aftermarket parts, but if all you need is a daily driver that doesnt really matter.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by MaximusFunk
Ive never driven or known anyone with a 7th gen, so i can only speak in generalities.

I would go for a 92-95 or 99-00, they are generally cheaper, they have independent wishbone suspension which is better than the macphearson system on later models, they look nicer(not as fat and heavy, better tails, sleeker looking body). It is also a little easier to find a bigger selection of aftermarket parts, but if all you need is a daily driver that doesnt really matter.
quoted for truth.
if your only looking for a daily driver and no intentions of aftermarket than the car your looking for may be your right pick. be aware that the EX model is the highest/best class you could get, so if you find one same price range you should probably go for that. but if you do plan on having some fun with your car 92-95 & 96-00 model cars are fun to play with

Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 AM

oh definitely, I agree with both of you when you say the 99-00 model because that has been one of my favorite looking cars since I started driving, either an EX or a DX hatch. I have an 03 GTI (don't get my wrong when I say its sick) but I think the 99-00 civic hatches look even better even though their fenders don't flare as much. Mine might have heated seats, power windows, mirrors, sunroof, etc. but that civic hatch was always SEX. My fiance can't drive stick and she wants me to get an automatic so an auto of the 96-00 doesn't seem that appealing. I would have to get a EK hatch later in life and fix it up nice, and I love extremely short short shifters so TWM stage two FTMFW!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM

I just bought a '98 Civic LX sedan w/130K miles on it. The engine is surprising still strong and the brakes are really good for such an inexpensive car. I don't know if the owner replaced the brake pads recently or not but she told me it was pretty much just sitting on her drive way, not being used the past year or 2.

I've owned a '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, '97 Honda Prelude and currently own a Toyota 2008 Tundra. Driving the Civic from a Tundra made me feel a bit unsafe. The car, though it retained its stock springs/shock, sat very low to me. Obviously since I came from driving a truck. But after logging in 2000 miles this Civic is very reliable. I love how the parts are cheap and getting 35mpg as opposed to 16/17 mpg (truck) has definitely saved me tons of move ($400+ a month) and makes maneuvering a lot easier compared to the truck.

I'm not a racer (that's what my track motorcycles are for LOL!) or a dress them up kinda guy. I just like to keep the car simple/clean and as much stock as possible.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM

Ill add more as i think of them, and as they are suggested.

dont reply to it to much, i dont want it getting really long if its going to stay at the top.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 AM

I have an 01 civic lx auto tranny. I love the car. I haven't had any problems with it yet. I have also heard the transmission isn't good but no problems with mine and I have 130,000 miles. Gas is great even with modifications. That's a really great price as well. I would definitely pick it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to pickup an 01 Civic LX sedan, good choice?