General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ABS - '99 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Default ABS - '99 Civic

I have a little issue that kind is bothering me. I got my '99 Civic EX Coupe[AT] in 2002 - It was a previously a lease turn in car and being the EX it had the options for the EX model for this year. On the '99 Model Civic the ABS system appeared only on the EX trim level. I basically assumed that my '99 Civic EX Coupe had the ABS system - Being the EX it had all of the options so I was right to assume I had the ABS- For the last 5 years I assumed I have been driving around with ABS- Then a couple months ago I went to a Honda parts site and there you select your trim for the parts. and I noticed something - there was a Selection for 2 Door EX Coupe AT & and 2 Door EX Coupe -AT ABS. At first I thought why would they have two listings - I have top trim level so I should have ABS. Then I went to the MSN Auto sites and brought up the Specs for the 99 Civic - Then I looked at the safety feautures - for the Civic EX sedan - it says ABS is standard - I look under the EX coupe column and for ABS it says optional and I say [sm=wtf.gif]. Now at this point I am starting to get a little upset.I had to find out if my 99 Civic coupe had the ABS - I could not find it only and I remembered that I had the original window sticker for my car in the glove box. I go and pull it out of the glove box and look at the features and it only mentions power brakes and I really get upset [:@]I then look at the owners manual and look for ABS and I get to the page where it talks about the ABS and at the top it says something to the effect - ABS [on models equipped with or optional] and it talks about the ABS light on the dash to the lower right of the speedometer. I glance over to the right of my speedometer and I see the little black oval spot where the ABS light would be except there is no light- the light spot has the black plastic circlein that place - they used the same dash setup for the ABS models and non ABS models and the Non ABS they did not punch it out obviously- Something I had wondered about what that was but I assumed since I had the EX coupe I had all the options. And do not get me wrong I still like my Civic EX couple very much and I take very good care of it - What I don't understand is when you by the top trim level - the EX Civic you assume your getting all the options and you would assume you would get the ABS brakes - and why did Honda make ABS Standard on the 99 EX Sedan and only optional on the coupe. Can anyone explain why Honda did not equip all the the EX models with ABS in this year. Of course starting with the 2006 Model Civic ABS is standard on all trims along with the Side Airbags. I am still a little frustrated by this since I did not know this for the 5 years I have had the car!

Scott

Old 10-15-2007, 07:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: ABS - '99 Civic

This was a very dumb move on Honda's part... to have it on the sedan but not on the coupe. I have a 99 LX Sedan and it does not have ABS either. I have been in one seriousaccident with this car, and I strongly believe that it wouldn't have happened if I had ABS.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 AM
HCF Member

i've never had a vehicle with abs... who needs it? just learn how to brake correctly. you are supposed to find the limit, but not pass the limit of where your brakes begin to lock up. its called threshold braking.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Catman755

I assumed since I had the EX coupe I had all the options. ... I am still a little frustrated by this since I did not know this for the 5 years I have had the car!
You didn't think it was weird that you never felt it kick in, at all, in the past 5 years??

Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

si and type r are top of the line civics, and they dont have abs either. Honda doesnt like putting extra things in the cars because they are economy cars.