General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Advice for a "noob" :) ( which civic? )

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Umm
Default Advice for a "noob" :) ( which civic? )

ok Well Lemme start from the top here's the deal,

basicly i need a car and since im alittle young a new car is out of the question.... i would have to lease it ( which is no problem) but the insurance on any newer car is throu the roof ( 300+ month ) so ive decided to go with an older car which has potential civic seems to be my best bet

so starting from there..... i have a cavalier right now its basicly everything i dont want in a car, it is slow as can be makes noises like somethings loose, speakers are shot to hell, its a coupe( want a sedan ) has all these dings and dents all over the place and is an ugly *** color. so personally i dont think its even worth looking into fixing up

i dont know much about cars so ima have to put alittle effort into fixing up a civic..... i have friends who know alittle on the subject so it might make it alittle ezier but im not going into it blind .. basicly i wanna know which civic ( or other car ...) should i get year wise, i dont got alot of $$ to blow but i fuigre i can fix up a civic for about the price of a cheaper new car. things that are important to me... i like quiet cars i dont like unnessisary noise's i like it to be comforatable (the car i have now is small as can be) speed isnt a main concern but its nice not to have the slowest car in the world, appearance is important to me( argue if u like) but i'd rather have something that looks real nice, i like the look of "customized civics" ( new paint job, skirts, spoiler, w.e else) and then ovcourse my personal opinion of the car and how it drives( which no1 can really give me an answer about)

that being said, feel free to leave any questions comments and opinions .... i would like to know what year/car i should get( leaning twards civic)( reliable + tons of aftermarketparts) and what i should put into it....... example : 95 civic ex then put skirts a new paintjob some speakers+ some performance parts?

im goin into college in the next few months and i was looking into an alternative for a new car, something that will last, look nice, and be comfortable to drive thanks for any help and please keep in mind that i know next to nothing about cars so correct me where necisary and plz dont go into turbo's and other things that would be useless to me (unless i was gonna start racing)

Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Advice for a "noob" :) ( which civic? )

Auto OR Manual?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Umm

Auto

Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 AM
HCF Member

theres lots of choices out the ya know but im gonna civics do look good dressed up. Try to stay away from VW even though they run good and look nice with some rims and body kits, there really expensive to replace parts. I had a 92 jetta i put a clutch cable in and that thing was 100.
If you want a little speed and yet a 4dr i would try to find a clean 89-95 ex they come with manuals and autos.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 AM
HCF Member

Holy cow thats alot of info your asking for in one thread.....

I would say get a 92-99 civic with EX trim so youcan utilize theVTEC power. It's not going to be a sports car, but it'll be quick and a little sporty. You didn't say exactly how much money your thinking of putting down on a car, but If I were you, I would get a civic for around$4000 with mileage not exceeding 175,000.

Then put $1000 dollars into either: power/suspension/appearance which ever direction you wanna go first. An Intake, header, and cat-back exhaust would be the primary startingpoint for power. Or get an aftermarket suspension set up coilovers/struts/shocks with strut bars for safety and stability and/or looks. Or bodykit, lip's, spoiler if you really like that sort of thing.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Umm

yea i was asking to see if there was any year specificly which was better or had more available for it but from the sounds of it any civic in the 90's area is very close.... so what i was thinking is to start with a 95 civic in good condition and go from there... i have no problem droping 4k on a civic and adding on from there if its a worth wile investment .... so far i know i like body kits and i wanta clean paintjob other then that it gets alittle blurry partly because of the fact... i dont know what half the things live_4it just mentioned do.... so if that sounds like a good plan then i just need to know which way to stear from there, i def doin something with apearence.... anything that can give me a smoother ride or a quieter ride would be on my to-do list

Old 05-03-2007, 01:01 AM
HCF Member

can i ask y a 4door???

Old 05-03-2007, 01:16 AM
HCF Member

If you do a search on here for Air Intake, Header, Cat back Exhaust you'll find a lot of information on them. They're aftermarket bolt on's that replace thestockones on your engine. The stock bolt on's(stock means parts that come factory installed)choke the cars performance and pottentialbecause car companies aim to make their cars as quiet as possible, as good on gas mileage as possible, and also as cheap as possible.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 AM
HCF Member

College...it's a great excuse for having a sedan. j/k (I clearly run a coupe and love it as a college car though a sedan would come in handy from time to time).

I suggest that you find a 96-00 sedan EX. it has all of the power options, a sunroof, and really looks good as a modded sedan (ask the various sedan users on the site...they'll tell you). All of the things others have told you about mileage apply. The timing belt is an important thing to assess, possibly THE most important thing. It should be changed every 90,000 miles. If it has not been changed, it is expensive to change (even if you do it yourself...parts), and the cost for that should be SUBTRACTED directly from the final price.

I tell people who are car shopping to make a list of things they want to ask and look at when they go see a car. As long as you read the list, you won't forget anything important that you will wish you would have addressed when you bought it. Don't be afraid to take it to a mechanic you trust. If the seller objects, find another car to buy.

I spent something like $3000 total for my 97 EX coupe including buying it and fixing various parts on it that needed replaced (beyond that, other's errors have been far more costly to me, though hopefully you will not have to worry about that).

Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 AM
HCF Member

^ yezzir

Quick Reply: Advice for a "noob" :) ( which civic? )