General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

alignment/camber kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 PM
HCF Member
Default alignment/camber kit

my civic really needs an alignment so i went to grismer today to see what price i might be looking at. i also told him that the camber is off on the rear wheels because of an accident before i bought it. he told me that for them to do anything about the camber that i would have to get a camber kit. all said and done if they do all the work they want $330. thats camber kits for both sides, labor and the alignment. to me this is not acceptable. shouldnt they be able to adjust the camber back to stock without the camber kit? also is there a chance that even with the camber kits they cant get it back to stock? my back wheels are wearing quick and i need to do something soon.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: alignment/camber kit

Good camber kits can cost around $150 so plus labor to install it I don't think 300 is that bad. You can't adjust camber on a honda without a kit so they aren't bs-ing you. Camber doesn't kill your tires very quickly so your toe is probably what is eating up your tires.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 PM
HCF Member

Yep civics cant have the camber adjusted stock. And they charged me $70 or $80 just to align the wheels

Old 05-29-2008, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

if the camber is off that makes the wheel/tire lean in or out, in my situation its in. wouldnt that make the inside tread of the tire wear faster than the outside. thats exactly the situation i have. when i say the camber is off, its kinda an understatement, its more like its bustin a lean. i will get pics when its daylight out so show more clearly the camber issue and the tire wear. are camber kits hard to install? i would like to do the suspension at the same time but i dont have $700 to do everything at once.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

toe is actually what kills your tire From top view / \. Thats when your basically dragging your tires

Old 05-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

these are your STOCK CAMBER KITS....
Name:  99camberkitinstalled-21.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  98.4 KB

no adjusting them at all... if your cars been wrecked then most likly your upper camber arm is bent... or maybe your spindle is bent. no telling without actualy seeing the two parts...

Name:  99camberkitinstalled-18.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  118.3 KB

if you have stock suspension and gonna keep it stock then just buy a new upper arm and HOPEFULLY your bushing isnt seized on the spindle and its a quick and easy swap. if its seized ya got more issues and taking it to the shop would be the best unless you have some tools...... like a hack saw with a hardened blade and lots of time. and a welder helps as well IMO. i had to chop quite a few seized bushing/bolts in my last 2 years with 2 civics NOT FUN WORK! i cut the bushing clean thru kinda close to the middle bushing as much as posible, then when its removed with a nut weld it to the remainder of the bolt that goes thru the threads and weld it to it and then after it cools alittle then crank it off with a wrench. its most likely not seized but the bolt/bushing part is....
these are some nice camber kits that i bought. SKUNK2 kinda costy but i splerged.
for a cheap budget minded camber kit. click that link. i used there rear toe adjusters on my last civic and they worked great no issues.
i thought about going with them again BUT for the SKUNK2 name and more abuse and adjusting id be doing somewhat often i chose not to cheap out...
Name:  99camberkitinstalled-08.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  164.2 KB

all depends how straight or dependable you want it to be... or your future plans for the car...
camber kit would be better for future mods, but not needed if you dont plan on it. your choice...

Old 05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

down the road i definately want to do some mods. i want to do new shocks & struts, 1.5" drop, 17" wheels, and i have a very simple body kit im lookin at from wings west. but first things first i gotta get the lugs off the car and get the brakes changed. then i can worry about the rest.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ok then i would go ahead and buy a camber kit at least for the rear first to fix your bent problem now (well after ya get your wheels off.)

depending if you want cheaper camber kit or ya want some quality camber kit is all up to you. id recomend the skunk2 kit since it does look alot better quality and very well built!