General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Any Suggestions of where my Trunk leaking from

Old 04-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Default Any Suggestions of where my Trunk leaking from

Well i bought this 98 Civic EX before a deployment, got back and want to do a couple of things to it but i have a leak in the trunk and is driving me crazy :evil:, i already bought a brand new trunk rubber seal that cost me about $50, and i've been trying some silicon in the area that i thought might it been the problem, theres no rust in the area or any signs of punctures or wreckage and im running out of options to prevent the leakage, any comments are more than welcome and ill be trying almost anything that is suggested
Thanks in advance for all the inputs or ideas :idea:

im going to try to upload some pictures, never done it so hopefully comes ok

General area of the Problem

Side View

Bottom View

Silicon Area

Water Spot

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if the trunk seal is not tight on the metal lip it can leak right around the seal if its loose.

hard to tell by those pictures tho.

one thing that is easily overlooked is the sunroofs drains. they rub right down the roof and side pillars and then exit thru the rear quarter area i believe... if the holes get clogged from dirt build up it can force leaking... or if the hose is just old and busted if could also leak inside the trunk.
simply use a long thick wire or a air hose to also push it in the sunroofs drain vents and blow the air thru the drain hole.

and if that all fails with finding the leak then remove the trunk carpet and get a friend and go to your local car wash drop some quarters and you climb into the truck with a flash light and have your friend spray the taillights, then spray around the trunk cracks and start low and work the way up and around and then spray around the back glass, and then around the sunroof.
and when you find the leak start banging on the trunk lid to tel your friend to stop for a second and tell you where its leaking

Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

On the Hatch's, they are notorious for leaking behind the taillight's, the gasket needs to be replaced.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

almost always tail light gasket leaking