General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

any tips on driving a low car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:06 PM
HCF Member
Default any tips on driving a low car?

hey I'm a noob at driving lowered cars and I'm going to lower my car to the point where I'll have 1 to zero finger gaps in the fender and I also have a full lip kit too. Any tips on stuff like steep exit points, entrances, speed bumps in small alleys (can't go 1 wheel at a time), backing over speed bumps in small alleys, but more importantly places where the streets sort of level up upon meeting the sloped business area exit/entrances.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: any tips on driving a low car?

drive slowly and at an angle. but you will scrape a lot driving in the city like that.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:04 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

ORIGINAL: cyberx32

drive slowly and at an angle. but you will scrape a lot driving in the city like that.
he is right, my car is lowered and i had a lot of problems with my front lip scraping.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

i also have issues when exiting freeways since all of them here have that little ditch thing that makes ur front swoop down, i guess its like a mini dip socars will slow down. btw if someone rear ends me because I drive really slowly over dips and stuff it won't be my fault right? They can't use the, "you're car is too low" tactic on me? I don't mind going slow over dips but its just people behind me who get very very close.

so all I have to do is try to angle it? 20 degree angle? any videos on this?

Old 11-24-2007, 02:30 PM

hey burgernuds, dont worry about it too much... and also get used to the idea that ur front lip might get a bit of a scratching. I spent the first few weeks pulling screwed up faces as i heard horrible scratching and griding noises coming from the front of my car, then i got used to the idea that it was going to get beaten a bit, i suppose i will just get a new lip every so often. also go park up next to a kerb and see if the front/back will clear it, i always park backwards because that one will always clear the kerbs.

and as for the driving slow, just drive slow, dont floor it between the speed bumps just because people want to go faster as this will slowly kill your car. if you get rear-ended it is always their fault as they should have the correct breaking distance, (i learnt this the hard way, i had a good distance between cars, but in the rain the distance should be 10 times greater[:@]) oh well live and learn.

So moral to it is just dont worry so much about it just dont hammer your car at first you will get the feel for things

Old 11-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya just slow down or crawl over the bad dips or speedbumps...

and also.... some areas you MIGHT not be able to go anymore. LMFAO

just keep an eye out where your driving..... only time i scrap in my 99civic is in fields or when turning and i hit a dip....

main thing you want to watch out for is your tire size!!!!! the worst place to rub a tire is on the rear fender lip!!!!!!!! if your tires rub that lip it will chew RIGHT THRU the sidewalls!!!!
if it is youll either have to buy smaller tires to HOPEFULLY CLEAR.... or roll your fender lips like i did mine. tho i should say only if your rocken wider tires.... if your rocken steelies from factory id say its fine to be that low....
so be VERY CAREFULY with picking your tire size and even more important the rims offset size...

but i dont see what backing over a speed bump would help any..... if anything i think it would make it 3times easier to rip off the front bumper!

o ya main thing about rubbing is..... FIND OUT WHERE YOUR RUBBING!!!!!!!!! some parts you could rub all day long without any serious problems BUT some areas if ya rub to much it can turn into a serious problem! like rubbing the sidewalls on the tires, draging the exaust or draging around the fuel/brake lines....

find out the problem areas to ascess the problems seriousness...... could also keep ya from having a huge accident!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

well to get into my garage i have to clear a speed bump, then back into it to get into my garage
or go the long way (without having to back into it) and go throught 8 speed bumps!! the alley is at an angle that allows for one way traffic (i'm actually going against traffic in my attempt to go through fewest speed bumps as possible- luckily its a quiet alley)

Old 11-24-2007, 04:52 PM
HCF Member

Yeah not much too it just pay more attention go down drive-ways sideways every kinda bump if you can help hit it at an angle, and if its unavoidable bump thats not so big FLOOR IT OVER BUMP, the faster you go the less of bump it is, BTW POT HOLES = YOUR CAR EXPLODE

Old 11-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

what.......... NEVER floor it over a bump! that would be realy stupid!!!!!!!

think of it...
grab a hammer and slide it along some metal..... it puts scratches in the metal... NOW hit it hard sideways.... now its got a HUGE dent.... ill take scraps over DENTS anyday!!!!

if your having THAT MUCH posible problems id say either MOVE or dont drop it so much.LOL
or maybe get some airstruts.... so you can pump up the pressure get over the bumps and then drop the air.LOL

ya gotta be practical..... just cause you want it that low.... .doesnt mean that it can go that low for daily driving in your area....

Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

ya you're right addictition2bass... currently my car is on springs at 2 finger drop,and I'm not having major issues with scraping... still have to be careful though because of the lip kit. But in the future I want the rear to go to 1 finger drop or no finger drop (with coil overs) but I'm pretty much forced to go with 2 fingers on the front because of my residential issues.

when you guys say an angle, how much of an angle? I'm afraid of getting t boned by an incoming / entering car from the same area i'm exiting from.

Quick Reply: any tips on driving a low car?