General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

AUTO VS. MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Default AUTO VS. MANUAL

An ongoing debate ive noticed is whether people prefer automatic or 5spd. I have an automatic 02 EX (not automatic by choice, the car was givin to me and i gladly took it) I was just wondering why people prefer 5spd or automatic? I used to drive a 93 Saturn SL 5spd with a whopping 95 horses. So an automatic civic is a step up from that. Ive noticed that if you floor an automatic civic at just the right time, it actually feels quicker than a 5spd. Just wondering what people think.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Default RE: AUTO VS. MANUAL

I had an automatic mitsu mirage and it was a fun car to beat around in, at one point i had an apexi n1 muffler on it with a chopped civic air intake on it lol and it had a TB off a talon tsi on it, it lacked power when i needed it, i converted it over to a manual and that would of worked out if i would of gotten the model with a hydro clutch instead of a cable[X(] now i have a 95 with a 5speed, i feel u can control it alot more, save ur brakes by down shifting not by alot but still some... but its up to what you have money for and what you want..

Old 01-20-2005, 12:11 PM
HCF Member

You know, Ive got an auto but I prefer manual. My civic was also given to me inwhich I also glady accepted it. The nice thing about an auto is that you can yak on your phone, puff a smoke and drive at the same time. Although I was pretty good at it with manual, a begginer would run into something or spill his/her coffee or something like that.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

small displacement cars like civics die with a torque-sucking auto slushbox. and honda autos are not known for handling high amounts of HP, though the mannys arent THAT durable, theyre better than the autos.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: remington870_20ga

You know, Ive got an auto but I prefer manual. My civic was also given to me inwhich I also glady accepted it. The nice thing about an auto is that you can yak on your phone, puff a smoke and drive at the same time. Although I was pretty good at it with manual, a begginer would run into something or spill his/her coffee or something like that.
That's why whenever you see someone like swerving off the road all the time, theyre usually driving an auto. When you pass them, they are usually like talking on their cell phone or tryin to get their kids in the back seat to sit still or shaving (yes i have seen someone shave and drive at the same time). In a manual, there isn't really much else you can do (in stop and go traffic at least) other then pay attention to your driving.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:57 PM

LOL. i drove auto for 3 years before i got my civic which came as 5spd. honestly the downfall to 5spd is that both hands are preoccupied... the advantages.... well, to tell u the truth i like to redline my civic sometimes... heh heh and i find it much easier to do that with a 5spd compared to auto.

-B

Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 PM
HCF Member

It's all about the manual transmission. I can't stand automatics. I'd rather deal with an in dash man shifter than have a god damn automatic shifting gears for me. I feel like I'm in less control with and an auto. I hate the feeling of letting a machine, rather than me deciding when it's time to shift. I even shifted in my auto Camry just to lessen that feeling. And by the way, it's all about the 4 speed transmission. WHAT WHAT!

Old 01-21-2005, 01:56 AM

honestly the downfall to 5spd is that both hands are preoccupied...
Who cares??? That's the whole point...

Old 01-21-2005, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

oh i like having an auto sometimes, like when im trying to eat and drive, but thats not worth buying one.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Just train yourself to shift while holding a sandwich or a can of pop; that's what I did. Oh, and short shifters help a lot.

Quick Reply: AUTO VS. MANUAL