General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Back in the game.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Back in the game.

Hey all. I've been a member on here for quite a few years now. Some may remember that my silver 97 HX was stolen about a year and a half ago. It was never recovered unfortunately and all the cops had to offer was and I quote "it's probably chopped by now. move on kid." Well I did and I got myself into a 92 Eclipse GSX and now after a year and a half I'm back into a civic. I stumbled across a 96 EX for only $450. Yeah it needs some paint work because of pealing clear coat and very minor rust and the windows don't work, the hood latch needs replaced, the blower doesn't work on 1 or 2, and the gauge cluster is useless except for the tach. But hey I've had her for a week and it's great being back in a honda. Don't get me wrong here, i still have and love my eclipse, but it's not exactly fuel efficient. I gave the civy a good gunk out and seafoam treatment then oil change with engine restore, threw a new cone filter on the short ram, and cut off the ridiculously huge and rusted out fart cannon muffler for a summit racing turbo muffler (quiet as a whisper at idle and low throttle but has a nice tone when more opened, though still not loud and annoying). Today I put on some polyurethane shifter bushings to tighten up the shifter which was very mushy and I have a B&M short shifter to put on as well, as soon as I get a bolt out tool for the rounded off bolt head that is keeping me from getting the stock one off( I hate rust). Oh yeah and stumbled upon my old Venom 400 (was off the car when it was stolen), just needs a wiring harness so what the hey, I'll throw it on. This weekend I'm hitting up the junkyard for some parts collection to get her back to full working status (and if i'm lucky find some stock taillight harnesses and maybe some SI tails to replace the awful plastic imperial symbol taillights it has on it), and I'm taking her to the track tomorrow night for some fun. That's about all for the update. Glad to be back.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

welcome back! post some pics up of what you are working on, you should start a project thread if this is a long project.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by HollywoodHalo560
the blower doesn't work on 1 or 2, and the gauge cluster is useless except for the tach
I'd check the resistors on the HVAC system. The resistors for 1 and 2 are probably blown, which is why it doesn't work on just those two settings. For the gauge cluster, check the wire connectors for damage and corrosion and check the fuses. If it were the sensors, you'd be throwing codes left and right and the MIL would be lit up. Then there's always the possibility that the cluster itself if FUBAR. Still, a used cluster shouldn't be hard to find, nor should it be too expensive.

Originally Posted by HollywoodHalo560
summit racing turbo muffler (quiet as a whisper at idle and low throttle but has a nice tone when more opened, though still not loud and annoying).
Good muffler. I have them on my mustang... nice and quiet during cruising but throaty on acceleration.

Anyway, welcome back... definitely get a project thread started.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:35 AM
HCF Member

r u gonna sell the eclipse ? if so how close do u live to philly ? how much? im willing to bet my cousin will pay a good amount he likes eclipses n its gotta be better on gas than his 89 bronco thing is bigger than a H2 n gets maybe 8mpgs

Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
HCF Member

I'm not really thinking about selling the Eclipse. I have a block, intercooler core and piping, turbo, and VPC sitting around with other things all ready for a build on it. It's an extremely clean 1g with the 6/4 setup and has no rust with a perfect interior and a clean head. It's very hard to find a DSM in this good of condition so I would only get rid of it if I had an offer i couldn't pass up. I'm going to get some pictures up this weekend.