General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Burning oil - How much of a concern?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 AM
HCF Member
Default Burning oil - How much of a concern?

My 94' started burning oil not long after doing the head gasket. (I did have the machine shop do the valve seals for me when they checked it out).

94' D15B7, 218k miles

On moderate/heavy acceleration I can see blue smoke in my rearview mirror. It still runs good, good power and gets 38-42mpgs..

I seem to be burning about half a quart every 200ish miles.

Using dino 5w30 and no additives.

Am I being overly concerned, or should I just ignore the smoke and keep an eye on my oil level?

I'm gonna see about renting a compression tester from 'Vatozone later..

Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, do wet versus dry compression tests and also a leak down test. My guess is that the new head gasket is leaking.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

my d15 burns about a quart or two every 200-300 miles (the reason why i'm upgrading to b18c) so much so that if i were to wipe my finger inside the tail pipes i'd have a gob of sludge on the tip of my finger.

Not good i know... but it runs fine, and only smokes really bad for the first few minutes it runs, then once it gets warmed up it stops...

I'd say if its only going through a half a quart or so, that you should be fine as long as you have no problem continuing to put oil into it. And if you dont mind the people giving you dirty looks for breathing in your burnt oil smoke... bikers get really upset with me, especially when they get stuck behind me at a stop light.

i've ran that d15 on a quart of oil for hundreds of miles.. no knocks and it still runs strong. not that you should do that but they are pretty tough little things. It actually seems to run better with two quarts in it than with the full amount.

Last edited by greenMachine89; 04-11-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

The results are in.. Dry, I'm getting about 180psi across the board.

I didn't get the leakdown gauge, but I'll see about it when I return my compression tester.

I don't know if I did the wet test right or not. The guide I found said to use a quart cap full in the cylinder and wait a minute or two to let it sit. When I did that, my gauge maxed out at 300 on all 4 cylinders.